Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Advice on cory eggs

I had four new albino corys in quarantine for four weeks and just added them to my planted 55 gallon community tank yesterday afternoon. This morning, there are eggs all over the upright leaves of a cryptocoryne and I witnessed one of them carrying eggs between her pelvic fins. I know it happens pretty regularly with corydoras, but this is a first for me and I am very excited about it!

I want to try and raise them so I set up a 1 gallon bucket with tank water, tiny heater, air stone, and a bit of filter media. I removed an entire leaf that was loaded with eggs and hung it from the side of the bucket with a clothes pin. Will this work? I don't have a tank available so this is the best I can do. If they hatch and grow a bit, I can put them in with the platy fry I have. Any advice on caring for these if they do hatch? Should I do something else?

Old 03-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congratulations! Hope they hatch successfully

Sent from my Android tablet using Tapatalk

Old 03-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello Art...

The rearing tank chemistry has to be identical to the tank that had the eggs. The eggs, if fertilized should hatch soon.

B
Old 03-23-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks, BBradbury. I took the water from the main tank so chemistry is exact, but temp now after several hours is just a degree or two cooler with the tiny heater I am using (one of those flat rectangular Top Fin models without a thermostat). Is that OK? Do I need to do water changes before they hatch if I have an airstone and small piece of seeded media in there?
Old 03-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

The eggs hatched today and I have a bucket swimming with tiny white fry! Let's hope I can keep them alive.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Corydoras Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistGardener View Post
I had four new albino corys in quarantine for four weeks and just added them to my planted 55 gallon community tank yesterday afternoon. This morning, there are eggs all over the upright leaves of a cryptocoryne and I witnessed one of them carrying eggs between her pelvic fins. I know it happens pretty regularly with corydoras, but this is a first for me and I am very excited about it!

I want to try and raise them so I set up a 1 gallon bucket with tank water, tiny heater, air stone, and a bit of filter media. I removed an entire leaf that was loaded with eggs and hung it from the side of the bucket with a clothes pin. Will this work? I don't have a tank available so this is the best I can do. If they hatch and grow a bit, I can put them in with the platy fry I have. Any advice on caring for these if they do hatch? Should I do something else?
Hello Art...

Check the color of the eggs. The white ones aren't fertile. The amber colored ones are. The holding tank water chemistry must be very close to the tank's chemistry where the eggs were laid or the chances of any eggs hatching is remote.

I keep a lot of different Corys and have had many eggs laid. The problem for my tanks is I keep large numbers of Fancy Guppies and they make lunch of the eggs even before they're fertilized.

Good luck.

B
Old 03-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

They hatched this morning and are in no danger of being eaten as they are in their own bucket. Feeding them will be my biggest issue now. I have Hikari first bites, but nothing else. I am going to throw some plants in there from the main tank in hopes there are microscopic critters on them.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Congrats on your fry.

I currently have 200+ Peppered Cory fry born March 9th.

I first fed them powered flake food which I made by placing flake food in a baggie and using a rolling pin to make it powder.

I have 3 small gobys in the tank with them, when I fed my gobys blood worms, tubiflex worms and brine shrimp, the fry also ate the bloom worms, tubiflex worms and brine
shrimp. I use a sharp knife to scrape off small bits of the frozen foods.

Since I have so many corys, I am also dropping in algae wafers and brine shrimp pellets.

I was caught off guard with so many eggs hatching, other batches I had were usually 20-30 eggs that hatched.

I have some babies that are now about 1/2 inch long and they are only 2 weeks old....I am assuming it is because they are eating adult foods that is tiny enough for them to eat.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow! A half inch in such a short time. I hope mine grow that quickly!

Tags
advice, cory, egg, eggs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com