aggressive male molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nibor

Aquarium Advice Regular
In my 29 gal, I have 4 female mollies and 1 male. Problem is that the male only shows interest in one female, and it is non stop. I have watched and he is always after her, ignoring the others. Why would he do that and should (what?) be done abot it?

In my guppy tank, I have 3F1M ... at least he shares the love!

Also, you would think I'd have fry from all this hanky panky, but no. The female gets fat, but she never gets a gravid spot and never has any babies. The other girls have never shown any sign of a pregnancy.

I would guess that she never produces fry because she's too stressed. I recommend adding another female or three. I try to keep a 5:1 female to male ratio, otherwise my females get a little too much attention ;)

Also, I only put my male in with the ladies to do his business then I put him in his own tank. He's raped two of them to death already and it's not uncommon for them to have a favorite "partner"

My single male Molly has created about 300 babies thus far

i have something simalar happaning in my tank

the one platy male only chases one female ( platy also) and chases away the other female ( platy also) i know its his preferance but the female he chases around makes fry and the one he chases off dosent. i also just got a twin bar platy, she hasent setteled in quite yet htough. could this be a problem?

Back
Top Bottom