Aggressive Oranda: Breeding Behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alana10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright, so I've had my 2 orandas since December, and the both of them have always been best buds. However, recently I noticed the smaller oranda (Michael Buble, lol) has been very aggressive towards the larger oranda (Goldie Hawn :p). While I am fairly certain Goldie is female, I find it difficult to tell is Michael is indeed a male. After researching his behaviors, everything seems to point to breeding behavior, however he is not displaying any breeding tubercles. In fact, I thought he was still too small to even be able to breed.

Another confusing point, I recently had to recycle my tank due to the bacteria dying off (long story, it's in a previous post of mine though.) The tank has finally completely cycled as of 3 days ago with perfect water parameters. Would this have sparked mating behavior (if that's what it even is?) He constantly follows her, pushing her around from the side, back, and below her while nipping at her. She's obviously stressed and exhausted, I feel terrible for her. She comes out to eat, but otherwise will stay in her cave as to say "Keep the **** away from me." She's in obvious distress, but shows no other signs of potential illness or disease that could be causing her to be so lethargic. Unfortunately I don't have a 2nd tank to put her in, so worse comes to worse I'll buy a tank divider. Prior to this they had no issues and were very peaceful together, even sleeping next to each other.

Despite the names I gave them, I didn't exactly intend to buy a mating pair nor planned on breeding them *facepalm* So I guess we'll see what happens.

Anyway, if someone could please help me out with what else I could do or maybe help "diagnose" my issue, I would be much appreciated.

PS: It's a 29 gallon aquarium with one small potted anubias and some strands of anacharis for live decor. Fake decor involves a "sunken ship," Goldie's cave, and a fake stick/branch.

Also, I went ahead and bought a divider and just split the tank in two, letting Goldie remain in her cave with the small potted anubais while Michael has the ship, anacharis, and stick to keep occupied. He's always been so much more active and curious than Goldie (she's kinda clumsy and awkward with swimming) so he enjoys a more crowded area than her.

Here's a picture of the tank prior to the divider. Michael is on the right, Goldie in the cave:
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Back
Top Bottom