Albino Bristlenose eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Berylla

Aquarium Advice FINatic

Click on image to see video.

After 1.5 years, my plecos bred on the tank walls since I did not provide them with a cave. More about the eggs and babies here

Wow! I've never seen that. They sure were determined to spawn somewhere. Congrats. Pleco fry are so cool looking.

That's cool mine always hid theirs so well I never get to see the eggs lol

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/vphord/MVI_0396_zpsb224d27f.mp4

Click on image to see video.

After 1.5 years, my plecos bred on the tank walls since I did not provide them with a cave. More about the eggs and babies here

Hi. Been looking around for posts about bristlenose fry. And came across yours. I got a good 30-40 fry in a cave with the father. I have no clue what to do when the come out. Should I put them in a different tank? With or without the father?i just ordered a external hanging refugium invade I need. I also have an empty 5 and 10 gallon tank laying around. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, would pet shops buy or take them. I can't keep them all lol.

Hi. Been looking around for posts about bristlenose fry. And came across yours. I got a good 30-40 fry in a cave with the father. I have no clue what to do when the come out. Should I put them in a different tank? With or without the father?i just ordered a external hanging refugium invade I need. I also have an empty 5 and 10 gallon tank laying around. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, would pet shops buy or take them. I can't keep them all lol.

Congratulations! Most of my fry are almost an inch now and are still in the 30G with the father, mother and lots of cherry red shrimp. I feed them HBH Shrimp and Lobster Bites, and Zoomed earthworm sinking sticks. I can't feed them "normal" fish food because the copper would kill the shrimp. They are thriving with the shrimp diet.

If your fry are in a community tank with aggressive fish, I would put in more hiding spots for the little fry to hide (amazon swords, either real or plastic). You may be able to save a few of them from being eaten.

The babies are difficult to remove because you will probably squish them as you try to collect them since they are already latching onto surfaces the minute they are born. HOWEVER, if most of your babies are latching onto the walls of the cave, I would try to remove the cave and put them into the 10G with the dad. Use the "spider and cup" method: with one hand tilt the cave and with the other place a flat surface like a small plate at the bottom so the fish don't escape out the bottom.

I'm planning to sell mine to the local independent pet store when they get bigger.

Good luck and keep us update! Post photos please!

First off plecos are Algae eaters and like to eat algae disks, kelp sheets cucumbers , zucchini and other Vegetables, Secondly the easiest way to remove babies from the tank Is to lift the hide put a fis net under the hide and left it completely out of the water all the babies will then fall into the net dump babies into a new tank and Take hide new tank Tap out and rinse out any remaining babies Gently catch any babies that are remaining if you're very careful and gentle you won't squish any babies using two nets helps one to heard them one to Catch them.
Because I breed plecos I keep no Substrate in my tank which makes it a lot easier to catch the babies and my brown pair are producing 200 babies every 2 weeks same with the Calico and albino bristlenose plecos
Pic is the youngest babies feeding, after a feeding I always clean the mess out of the tank, and add more kelp or Algae disks when they get older i start adding Pieces of cucumber or zucchini.
The sooner the babies are out of the tank mommy and dad will make more and yes most pet stores will buy them for a cheep price.

I can't feed them "normal" fish food because the copper would kill the shrimp.

All fish food including your "shrimp food" contain trace amounts copper sulfate. The copper sulfate will not harm the shrimp, intact its needed to help regulate their blood function. Even fertilizers that contain trace amounts of copper like Flourish Comprehensive is 100% safe. The only copper that needs to be avoided is the copper based medications which contain lethal concentrations.

To the OP, Calico hit the nail on the head and provided solid advice, I'd recommend following her lead.

All fish food including your "shrimp food" contain trace amounts copper sulfate. The copper sulfate will not harm the shrimp, intact its needed to help regulate their blood function. Even fertilizers that contain trace amounts of copper like Flourish Comprehensive is 100% safe. The only copper that needs to be avoided is the copper based medications which contain lethal concentrations.

To the OP, Calico hit the nail on the head and provided solid advice, I'd recommend following her lead.

I'm not recommending shrimp food to plecoes, it's just that I have not choice since my tank is primarily a shrimp tank. Regarding copper, feeding them specific food designed for them is advised by most shrimp experts as higher levels of copper in normal fish food will cause sterility and shorter life spans. Just read the label of fish food.

I'm no expert in bristlenose babies. This is my first time having to raise babies. I'm just writing MY EXPERIENCE with them. I would not attempt to take them out of the tank unless they can be corralled somehow. They are sooo tiny at 2 to 3 mm at birth with their yolk sacs.

If anyone has a video demo of collecting pleco babies, I invite them to post here so we can all learn. I still have to collect mine from my 30G.

I'm not recommending shrimp food to plecoes, it's just that I have not choice since my tank is primarily a shrimp tank. Regarding copper, feeding them specific food designed for them is advised by most shrimp experts as higher levels of copper in normal fish food will cause sterility and shorter life spans. Just read the label of fish food.

Even food specifically for shrimp contains trace amounts of Copper Sulfate which is 100% safe and essential for their Heath. The levels of copper sulfate is the same in the fish food, its all basically the same thing just some ingredients swapped in and out.

I stopped feeding processes food to my shrimp and I now give them GiG's Wonder Food, which is an Organic and Raw veggie crisp that contains no fillers or preservatives. It's also great for plecos!

http://www.natureinvincible.com/product/veggie-crisps

Back
Top Bottom