Albino + Bronze Cory Breeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zamboni

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys.

So I have a pair of Corys that can't seem to stop breeding! It seems every week or 2 I find around 200 new eggs scattered around my tank. Lately I've just been letting the eggs try their luck on their own as I'm simply not equipped to deal with hundreds and hundreds of fry but I still regularly find several young Corys rummaging around for each batch of eggs I get.

My question is, since my breeding pair consists of a bronze (male) and an albino (female), what are the chances of getting albino fry? Up until this point I have only found/got bronze fry (which is fine anyway!). In order to get albino children must both the parents be albino? Or is it just a low percentage? Or have I only had bronze fry by chance?

Thanks.

I would need to brush up on my husbandry again but I'm pretty sure those will have a recessive albino gene (albino het) so to get full albino breed those fry to another albino. (also I think roughly half the fry will be het albino other half not at all so to know their true geneology you'll need to get a few generations first which random recessive genes still show up occasionally)

I would need to brush up on my husbandry again but I'm pretty sure those will have a recessive albino gene (albino het) so to get full albino breed those fry to another albino. (also I think roughly half the fry will be het albino other half not at all so to know their true geneology you'll need to get a few generations first which random recessive genes still show up occasionally)
So many big words!!

So what you are saying is that, assuming my bronze had no albino parent, he won't have any albino children? But if one of his parents were albino he could (e.g my current bronze babies with another albino)?

Yep the young will have the chance to either show parent As genes and hold Bs recessive or visa versa and once you know what they are Het for you can select an appropriate mate to get what you want.

I see! So much to learn! Thanks for the quick reply!

No problem but I think even my info is flawed but there should be husbandry charts readily available online lol

Hmm, I can't seem to find anything at the moment, but I'm fairly clueless as to exactly what I'm looking for! I'll keep looking though! Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom