Albino Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FwA

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have just purchased 3 albino pleco (7cm) in the hope I get a breeding pair.
I am wondering how big they have to be to start breeding. And any additional breeding info would be appreciated please as most web searches end up giving me results for 'albino bristlenose pleco' :(

Im not sure what any of that means as only just starting with plecos.
I Tried to post link to site I got them from but don't think it worked. I saved pic from the site and attached instead. Hope it works. They are a really dark color, almost dirty looking, but only arrived today. I bought them online as I said before, so not sure if the travel has altered their color?

Attachments

• image-180089231.jpg
    image-180089231.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 106
Just googled. Rubber nose and bristlenose. I am pretty sure it's a common. I bought it thinking that anyways. They were $110 usually, got on sale for $31 :D

FwA said:
Just googled. Rubber nose and bristlenose. I am pretty sure it's a common. I bought it thinking that anyways. They were $110 usually, got on sale for $31 :D

$110 for a trio of albino bristlenose?? Thats an absolutley outrageous price.

They are titled on the site, Albino/Gold Plecostomus 5-7cm.
I bought 3. They were $31each. Usually $110each.
Sorry I wasn't clearer on my first post. Now I still have not had my original questions answered and would rather stay on topic please. :)

Cool those look nice! My albino Bristlednoses look about the same.
I believe that you'll need a couple of pleco caves(can be found online), and a very large tank. Those can get up to 30 inches.
Maybe someone can chime in on how to breed them? I only know how to breed BNs.

I personally cannot help you answer your questions, but I suggest you PM either toddnbecka or Discusapisto. They both have some experience with plecos I think. :)

Thankyou :)
I have them in a very well established 75g with a school of clown loaches, a couli loach, an upside down CF and a whiptail CF. The tank is very dim lit with a massive hollow twisted log and lots of other branches, etc coming from the top. They are acting more friendly than the bristlenose CF I had in there and already seem happy in their new home. The bristlenoses live in my 55g with a school of angelfish now :)
I plan to breed the plecos, bristlenoses and angels.

FwA said:
I repeat. They are not bristlenose

My apologies I read it wrong. Commons get rather large though, I believe the minimum tank size is 125g for a full grown one but a trio would need an even larger tank.

I plan on upgrading in a year or so to something a lot larger, gotta move into a bigger place myself first. Already got a room full of tanks lol

GuppyLover said:
My apologies I read it wrong. Commons get rather large though, I believe the minimum tank size is 125g for a full grown one but a trio would need an even larger tank.

Agreed, you will need a couple of large breeding tanks as well.

FwA said:
I plan on upgrading in a year or so to something a lot larger, gotta move into a bigger place myself first. Already got a room full of tanks lol

Lol
There's always have room ;)
Who needs a bed?

It's say on the link "sailfin pleco" so that's what they are. They do grow very large, iv had no experience in breeding them but I would of thought like most plecos you would proberly need a smooth surface like slate or a nice piece of bogwood. I know BN plecos like caves to breed, I hope you don't need a cave for these to breed in, lol how big of a cave would you need to fit 2 16in fish

Back
Top Bottom