Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All girls !!!

My mollies are 6 week old and my guppies are 7 weeks old, to my knowledge they all look like females , having sat here studying for the last hour and half ! Is it normal to have 99% female babies ? These are my first fry so to be honest it's all new to me

Old 09-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Usually you can't tell Guppys apart until they're 3 months old, that's when they're sexually mature. Idk about Mollies though, probably around the same time as Guppies

Old 09-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, they all look like girls until the boys become sexually mature. Just wait a few more weeks
I once had a young Molly for a month that I thought surely was a female, but all of a sudden she became a he!
Old 09-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khuligirl93 View Post
Yes, they all look like girls until the boys become sexually mature. Just wait a few more weeks
I once had a young Molly for a month that I thought surely was a female, but all of a sudden she became a he!
I agree, most live bearer fry (guppies, mollys, platys, ect.) are born with bottom fins fanned out . This indicates a female fish, but within a month or so you can start to see the males bottom fins will become pointed.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khuligirl93 View Post
Haha .. Shock !

My mollies are quite big too , maybe having an 80 litre all to themselves has helped that and being fed 3 times a day, and now on nls flakes , they are well over an inch and only 6 weeks old ! Well 7 weeks on Sunday 8th ..

I hope they all stay females I'm planning on keeping a good few of my girls..

Is it the same for guppies I have some 8 week old gups and they all look like females except 2 which are smaller and more colourful and hide out in the boat most of the time
Old 09-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles0oO View Post

I agree, most live bearer fry (guppies, mollys, platys, ect.) are born with bottom fins fanned out . This indicates a female fish, but within a month or so you can start to see the males bottom fins will become pointed.
So more than likely at nearly 2 months all females ? All bottom fins are fanned !
Old 09-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary bird View Post

So more than likely at nearly 2 months all females ? All bottom fins are fanned !
Its entirely plausible! Good luck picking your favorites
Old 09-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles0oO View Post

Its entirely plausible! Good luck picking your favorites
That's the problem, they are all my favourites
Old 09-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fwiw, someone I know who breeds Endlers, after many, many broods have been born and matured, figured the sex ratio at 9 females to 1 male overall. My own Endlers have been very similar.

I suspect most livebearers have a much higher incidence of females than males, because their goal, evolutionarily speaking, is making more of themselves. Females are much more useful for this purpose than males, as one male can fertilize a large number of females.

So yeah, having that many girls does not surprise me at all, it makes sense.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:53 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

It takes from 3 to 6 months for males mollies to develop their gonopodium. It took my male fry around 4 months to be able to tell he was definitely a male. I was pretty sure he was male at around 3 months because he started showing courting behavior. He would chase the girl around and wiggle and nip at her. He was also a lot thinner than the females. I have another batch of fry that are 4 months old and they all seem to be female. None of them have showed the mating behavior. Luckily my local pet place takes them. I am going to remove the male as soon as I can get a tank for him.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroseofky View Post
It takes from 3 to 6 months for males mollies to develop their gonopodium. It took my male fry around 4 months to be able to tell he was definitely a male. I was pretty sure he was male at around 3 months because he started showing courting behavior. He would chase the girl around and wiggle and nip at her. He was also a lot thinner than the females. I have another batch of fry that are 4 months old and they all seem to be female. None of them have showed the mating behavior. Luckily my local pet place takes them. I am going to remove the male as soon as I can get a tank for him.
Thanks, I'm pretty sure these are all girls, no mating displays, so fingers crossed
Old 09-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep in mind that female mollies can retain sperm for 6 months. I started with an all girls tank and four months in both girls had babies. Each girl had two births each back to back. The stress and probably my inexperience killed both of them.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:30 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroseofky View Post
Keep in mind that female mollies can retain sperm for 6 months. I started with an all girls tank and four months in both girls had babies. Each girl had two births each back to back. The stress and probably my inexperience killed both of them.
Ok thanks for that , I've had these mollies over a year and these are the first fry they have had ... I had to get the female out of the tank after her second batch as the male wouldn't leave her alone and she was stressing , a day later I put her back in and things went back to normal.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well the mollies are still all girls , but the guppies are all male well this batch of 8 is ... And the boys go to their new homes tomorrow along with some of the mollies ...
Old 09-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your guppies might breed with mollies
Old 09-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Unlikely , I'm pretty sure they won't .. I have mollies platies and guppies and none have bred with the others
Old 09-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have heard of it happening though

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com