All girls !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canary bird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My mollies are 6 week old and my guppies are 7 weeks old, to my knowledge they all look like females , having sat here studying for the last hour and half ! Is it normal to have 99% female babies ? These are my first fry so to be honest it's all new to me :)

Usually you can't tell Guppys apart until they're 3 months old, that's when they're sexually mature. Idk about Mollies though, probably around the same time as Guppies

Yes, they all look like girls until the boys become sexually mature. Just wait a few more weeks :)
I once had a young Molly for a month that I thought surely was a female, but all of a sudden she became a he!

Yes, they all look like girls until the boys become sexually mature. Just wait a few more weeks :)
I once had a young Molly for a month that I thought surely was a female, but all of a sudden she became a he!

I agree, most live bearer fry (guppies, mollys, platys, ect.) are born with bottom fins fanned out . This indicates a female fish, but within a month or so you can start to see the males bottom fins will become pointed.

Haha .. Shock !

My mollies are quite big too , maybe having an 80 litre all to themselves has helped that and being fed 3 times a day, and now on nls flakes , they are well over an inch and only 6 weeks old ! Well 7 weeks on Sunday 8th ..

I hope they all stay females :) I'm planning on keeping a good few of my girls..

Is it the same for guppies I have some 8 week old gups and they all look like females except 2 which are smaller and more colourful and hide out in the boat most of the time

I agree, most live bearer fry (guppies, mollys, platys, ect.) are born with bottom fins fanned out . This indicates a female fish, but within a month or so you can start to see the males bottom fins will become pointed.

So more than likely at nearly 2 months all females ? All bottom fins are fanned !

Fwiw, someone I know who breeds Endlers, after many, many broods have been born and matured, figured the sex ratio at 9 females to 1 male overall. My own Endlers have been very similar.

I suspect most livebearers have a much higher incidence of females than males, because their goal, evolutionarily speaking, is making more of themselves. Females are much more useful for this purpose than males, as one male can fertilize a large number of females.

So yeah, having that many girls does not surprise me at all, it makes sense.

It takes from 3 to 6 months for males mollies to develop their gonopodium. It took my male fry around 4 months to be able to tell he was definitely a male. I was pretty sure he was male at around 3 months because he started showing courting behavior. He would chase the girl around and wiggle and nip at her. He was also a lot thinner than the females. I have another batch of fry that are 4 months old and they all seem to be female. None of them have showed the mating behavior. Luckily my local pet place takes them. I am going to remove the male as soon as I can get a tank for him.

It takes from 3 to 6 months for males mollies to develop their gonopodium. It took my male fry around 4 months to be able to tell he was definitely a male. I was pretty sure he was male at around 3 months because he started showing courting behavior. He would chase the girl around and wiggle and nip at her. He was also a lot thinner than the females. I have another batch of fry that are 4 months old and they all seem to be female. None of them have showed the mating behavior. Luckily my local pet place takes them. I am going to remove the male as soon as I can get a tank for him.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure these are all girls, no mating displays, so fingers crossed ;)

Keep in mind that female mollies can retain sperm for 6 months. I started with an all girls tank and four months in both girls had babies. Each girl had two births each back to back. The stress and probably my inexperience killed both of them.

Keep in mind that female mollies can retain sperm for 6 months. I started with an all girls tank and four months in both girls had babies. Each girl had two births each back to back. The stress and probably my inexperience killed both of them.

Ok thanks for that , I've had these mollies over a year and these are the first fry they have had ... I had to get the female out of the tank after her second batch as the male wouldn't leave her alone and she was stressing , a day later I put her back in and things went back to normal.

Well the mollies are still all girls , but the guppies are all male :) well this batch of 8 is ... And the boys go to their new homes tomorrow :( along with some of the mollies ...

Unlikely , I'm pretty sure they won't .. I have mollies platies and guppies and none have bred with the others

Back
Top Bottom