Am I going to get Angel Babies????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
of the last couple of days my angels have been jousting and sparing with each other. this evening they are very territorial towards the other tank mates and are cleaning one of the leaves of my sword. Does this mean what i think it means? :D

There are a few things in life that are certain, taxes and angel pairing. From what you describe, you will soon have an intake tube or plant leaf full of eggs. Congrats!

Well no egg laying yet, and no sign of breeding tubs yet either.

1. Tank size = 28 US gal bow front
2. Temperature = 80
3. pH, GH = PH = 8.0 and GH = 179 ppm
4. Conditioning (or what you've been feeding) = feeding includes freeze dried tubiflex and bloodworms, frozen/ boiled vegetables (peas, corn, carrots, limabeans, green beans: all finely chopped), tetramin flakes, crisps and bites.
5. Fishes activity prior to spawning - see first post (have not actual spawned yet) but i'm hoping!!!
6. Selection of spawning site (if any) = cleaning leaf of sword plant (oriental sword i think)
7. Anything you might have done to induce the spawn = just added this sword plant friday!!!
8. Pics are always great Will do if they spawn, I hope it is not a false alarm. Do angels go through the motions a few times before they have their first spawn? (my convicts did)

Well, there are a couple of things you should know:

~It does take awhile for them to set up the "ideal" location. This is something to see as they change their minds often. I have noticed a particular pattern, early to late evening is the typical spawning time.

~Two females can pair up just as easily as one of each. They will take on all of the characteristics of a male/female pair, including "fertilizing" and protecting the spawning site.

~They very rarely get it right on the first few tries. They will also ingest their own eggs if they feel the area isn't secure. Most tank bred angels will ingest their own eggs anyway.

~The only true way to know you have a true pair is by witnessing a spawn. The breeding tubes are shaped differently. The female has a round tube and the male's is conical at the tip.

Many feel that if you are truly interested in raising angel fry, it is best to remove the eggs to a separate tank and raise them artificially (without parents).

Jchillin said:
Many feel that if you are truly interested in raising angel fry, it is best to remove the eggs to a separate tank and raise them artificially (without parents).
I would love to raise at least on spawning, just to say i accomplished this. I do a cycled 10 gal i could move them too., i also have some fry food from when i raised up a convict spawning (not as much of an accomplishment in my mind as angels would be! :D )

Well... still not egg laying or even egg tubs. they are still play fighting and cleaning the sword leaf every evening :oops: .

any suggestions on how to get them to "just do it!" 8O

thanks

Nope, it is better to leave things are they are. Disturbing things now would do lass to promote spawning than changing something. It does take them awhile to get ready...mine did what yours are doing for 4 days, then bingo...eggs.

Back
Top Bottom