Amano shrimp breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrewz00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok so... i think my shrimp are having babies....?? after cleaning the filter once and while breaking down the tank to move it... i found something TINY, clear and squirmy either on the top filter pad or as the VERY last of the water drained from the tank.... i put it under a microscope and its a SHRIMP!!

ive heard that amano shrimp do not breed in captivity?

i have 2 amano shrimp and one bamboo.... so unless the bamboo has figured out how to reproduce asexually... they HAVE to be amano shrimp...

Well first of all, if your amano shrimps did breed you would have witnessed the mother carrying around hundreds underneath her body for several weeks. Did you not notice any eggs? Take a look at this page, this shows a berried amano with the hundreds of eggs she is carrying.

Now, secondly, assuming your amano was berried (egg-carrying) then what will happen is the eggs will hatch, but the larvae will not live more than a few days in freshwater. Amano larvae need strong-brackish to full saltwater to survive. They also need large amounts of micro-food suspended in the water column or else they will starve to death.

So my guess is that is what you found, an amano larvae destined to not live long in this world. (But the good news is that if your amanos are breeding, that means you are keeping your water quality high which is a great thing).

to tell you the truth... i barely see those shrimp! there is plenty of drift wood and plants they hide in... so i couldnt tell you if they were actually carrying eggs or not?

i just dont know what else they could be if not shrimp? i guess its a good thing that my water quality is so high... but now i feel bad for killing babies!!

thanks for the info!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom