Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Amano shrimp has lots of eggs...what do i d?

So I have 4 amano shrimp in my 10 gallon freshwater tank, I just came home from thanksgiving and one of them has a bunch of eggs in her abdomen. I've heard that these fish need brakish/saltwater to breed so I don't quite get how it happened in my tank especially while i hadn't done a water change in about a week. So my question is, if I want any of these to survive will I have to take them out and put them in saltwater or will a couple potentially survive in their current tank?

Old 12-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to martin_nozot
hi if you have this species "Caridina multidentata (Yamato / Amano Shrimp)" they must be bred in salt water if not the female will never produce babies!The eggs will hatch tiny larvae and float in the water to have successful breeding you must keep 24 h ligh and also to have temperature 21 celsius!

Old 12-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would guess that if the water wasn't right, the eggs are not viable. My nerite snails lay eggs all the time in my freshwater tank, but nothing comes of it (they need brackish, too.)

Here's some info on breeding Amano:
http://www.aquariumslife.com/freshwa...dina-japonica/

Tags
amano, amano shrimp, egg, eggs, i.d, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com