Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ancistrus breeding

Got a pleasant surprise last weekend.

As I was looking at my tank very closely I noticed something wriggling behind my internal canister filter. Closer inspection found about 15 tadpole-like ancistrus fry. I haven't seen the male for some time and I suppose that explains it, been raising babies.

Unfortunately it was over the Christmas weekend and no lfs open to get a seperate holding tank. Eventually I found a petshop where the guy donated me a very small 3 gal tank used to keep spiders in.

Started with the saltwater soaking and disinfecting of the tank, got a sponge filter and 50w heater. In a few days it was good to go.

In the mean time I counted over 50 little wrigglers, but they seemed to be getting less in my comunity tank. Think the pearl gourami had something to do with it. And today when I lifted my one driftwood to clean the male popped out and underneath it was another brood busy hatching.

Got about 30 free swiming in my growing tank now. Doing 50% water changes daily, might have to do it twice a day. Feeding them lettuce and algae wafers mainly, zuchinni now and then.

Any advice for a noob breeder like me? I know I need a MUCH larger growing tank. Does anybody have a good way to catch them without disturbing the tank or hurt any of the fish? What else can I feed them? And at what size can I let them go to other keepers?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Old 01-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

3rd spawn in less than 4 weeks today!

Is this normal? I've got over 200 little wigglers to look after now.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

pictures?? oh and they must be very healthy and happy if that is more then most have. I'm sorry i don't know anything about them
Old 01-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

My breeding pair must be deeply in love.. Or there is just something in the water.

I'll try to get some up later this week. Busy moving and everything is in boxes. Was planning on moving the tank on Wednesday but will have to think about how I'm going to do this now with another batch of little ones. Just hope they have hatced by then. Then I can move them straight to the grow-out tank.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
come get me tang police!

Congrats on the spawn. I've always moved mine with just a regular net. Wait a few weeks for them to get a bit bigger and then move em out.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

The third spawn is swimming around and looking healthy. Glad they survived the move. And the 2 lovebirds are chasing eachother again!!

I hope they don't spawn again. That would be the fourth time in less than 6 weeks. And I already have my 29g full of them.

If they do, I'll be the grumpy dad and move them to seperate tanks.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Moving fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphysis View Post
Got a pleasant surprise last weekend.

As I was looking at my tank very closely I noticed something wriggling behind my internal canister filter. Closer inspection found about 15 tadpole-like ancistrus fry. I haven't seen the male for some time and I suppose that explains it, been raising babies.

Unfortunately it was over the Christmas weekend and no lfs open to get a seperate holding tank. Eventually I found a petshop where the guy donated me a very small 3 gal tank used to keep spiders in.

Started with the saltwater soaking and disinfecting of the tank, got a sponge filter and 50w heater. In a few days it was good to go.

In the mean time I counted over 50 little wrigglers, but they seemed to be getting less in my comunity tank. Think the pearl gourami had something to do with it. And today when I lifted my one driftwood to clean the male popped out and underneath it was another brood busy hatching.

Got about 30 free swiming in my growing tank now. Doing 50% water changes daily, might have to do it twice a day. Feeding them lettuce and algae wafers mainly, zuchinni now and then.

Any advice for a noob breeder like me? I know I need a MUCH larger growing tank. Does anybody have a good way to catch them without disturbing the tank or hurt any of the fish? What else can I feed them? And at what size can I let them go to other keepers?

Thanks for the help in advance!
I use a smaller diameter tubing and siphon (slowly) the fry and their water into a new tank. I'll use regular clear airline tubing unless the fry have gotten too big then I'd use a larger diameter clear hose. You can regulate the water flow speed by raising the container you're siphoning into to just under the level of the bottom of the tank you are siphoning from. (I like to keep the fry in their same water at first to reduce shock.) You can start doing partial water changes at this point with less stress to the fry.

Hope this helps...

Tags
breed, breeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com