And if I Don't want babies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
There seem to be a ton of eggs in my tank ... I see 6 spots like this and a new one it seems every few days ...

I have danios, glowlight neons, and harlequin rasboras. It seems the harlequins always have at least 4 gravid, the neons 1, the Otos may have one gravid female, and the danios haven't appeared to be gravid at all.

Regardless of who is doing it ... I really don't want the hassle of rehoming fish. I'm looking to add Pygmy striped loaches soon, will they eat eggs? Or do I have anyone who eats fry?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400904646.864901.jpg

If these eggs are in a jelly mass, they are more likely from snails not the fish. You will not be able to get rid of them completely unless you get rid of all the snails. ( good luck with that ;) )
If you want to be guaranteed of not having baby fish, you need to have gender specific tanks. ( i.e. all males or all females.) This is the only way to ensure you don;t have fertilization of the eggs and subsequent fry.

Hope this helps

Oh that's actually good news. Loach food!!

Aren't there some fish that reliably eat eggs? Cories?

I guess something is self balancing so far, since I've seen no fry.

With all the trouble I see people going to, to raise fry, I figured if I just do the opposite I won't get many.

I have Cory's and they are relentless, my apistos were protecting eggs and the Cory's were going nuts for them in the end they all got eaten

Pretty much all fish will eat other fish's eggs but they may not eat their own eggs. This is why you don;t even want the possibility by having mixed genders. Some fish, Cichlids for example, will beat the crap out of their tankmates to protect their eggs. If you have no desire to breed them, why put your other fish through this harassment? If you have a good setup that is good for the fry to develop ( for a while), you may just get unlucky and have a lot of them survive then you have the problems of them dying off and polluting the water should your other fish not find them and eat them first. See, there can be a lot of issues when it comes to having fish breeding in your community tanks.

Hope this helps

I've done a lot of careful research and prep to ensure a healthy and peaceful habitat for all the animals in the aquarium. Without harassment.

If I'd chosen to get cichlids I would be prepared for fry, and their aggressiveness. But I chose peaceful fish most of whom are difficult to sex and kept in mixed gender tanks. I purposely avoided livebearers as well.

I knew snails would reproduce like crazy so I planned for that.

I hadn't expected egg laying tetras and rasboras to have much success which is why I was surprised to see all the eggs. The pond snails came in from a tank where she pointed out lots of white eggs on the wood, but I've learned now those may have been nerite eggs.

So, since the rasboras and tetras have all been gravid and then not, then gravid again, but I have no fry, they just be eating each other's eggs as I had hoped and heard would happen. Snail eggs is what I did want.

Like I said, since these are snail eggs that's great.

I've done a lot of careful research and prep to ensure a healthy and peaceful habitat for all the animals in the aquarium. Without harassment.

If I'd chosen to get cichlids I would be prepared for fry, and their aggressiveness. But I chose peaceful fish most of whom are difficult to sex and kept in mixed gender tanks. I purposely avoided livebearers as well.

I knew snails would reproduce like crazy so I planned for that.

I hadn't expected egg laying tetras and rasboras to have much success which is why I was surprised to see all the eggs. The pond snails came in from a tank where she pointed out lots of white eggs on the wood, but I've learned now those may have been nerite eggs.

So, since the rasboras and tetras have all been gravid and then not, then gravid again, but I have no fry, they just be eating each other's eggs as I had hoped and heard would happen. Snail eggs is what I did want.

Like I said, since these are snail eggs that's great.

Great that you did all the research. I was only trying to point out that if you definitely want a scenario where you have no fry and therefor no fry to worry about raising and rehoming, a gender specific tank is the only guaranteed way of getting that outcome if you keep multiple fish of the same specie. Obviously I don't know the entire setup you have but if you read through many threads on this site, you'll see many with " Unexpected fry, What do I do now????" The main thing they have in common is a planted tank. It can happen. So far you've been lucky. Great for you (y) But don't be surprised if one day, you find a few wigglers. ;)
Keep us posted (y)

Back
Top Bottom