Angel breeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aron

Aquarium Advice Freak
So today I lost one of my angel fish breeding pair that I have had lay twice but the fry got eaten. I don't know if it was the male or female I lost as they were both very similar and I never saw them lay.

What do you recommend I do from here? Chuck more angels in and try and get it paired off again or sell up and try some other fish?
I had been at this for months and was looking forward to my first batch of fry that were raisable as I removed all other fish from the tank and the parents were hopefully more caring by now!

Te worst part is I had other angel fish that I sold for very cheap once I established the breeding pair. I don't think I could go through all that again!

It had squeezed it's way between a rock an the glass side of my aquarium and got stuck and i think it had probably drowned. I don't know if this caused it exactly but I have now taken all decorations out in frustration!

Oh my. I am very sorry about your fish!
Introducing adult angels can be a bit tricky. How big is the tank? If its big enough, you could try some more adult angels maybe. Usually they need to be similarly sized or else the bigger ones will pick on smaller ones.
Do you have an lfs that gets in adult angels and takes returns?

absolutangel04 said:
Oh my. I am very sorry about your fish!
Introducing adult angels can be a bit tricky. How big is the tank? If its big enough, you could try some more adult angels maybe. Usually they need to be similarly sized or else the bigger ones will pick on smaller ones.
Do you have an lfs that gets in adult angels and takes returns?

I took your advice (maybe out of context!) and decided to return the adult angel because I couldn't find a supply of another adult angel any where and didn't want to introduce smaller angels. The tank is a 60g so decent sized but now empty!

I introduced a heap of juveniles to my two adults. It encouraged them to finally pair up :)
Also. A juvenile locked lips with the female trying to win her over. The larger male still won in the end. Lol
But I have it on video. Proves juveniles still fall in love :) poor bugger copped a hiding so bad in the end and wouldn't give up trying I separated him. That night I got eggs :D

Took screenshots of my video. Now i can share :) Pretty cool hey!

Attachments

• image-3849514806.jpg
    image-3849514806.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 60
  • image-1649749048.jpg
    image-1649749048.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 65
I was gutted about this, the one that died was such a pretty fish and i was looking forward to getting the fry and trying my hand at raising them! What do you think of him/her!?

image-2446857832.jpg

i'm sorry to hear about your angel. good luck getting more to pair

That angel is amazing. We can't get anything like that around here. I would love to get my hands on something similar.
And I'm glad I inspired u! Was pretty awesome to watch :D seriously went on for almost a day before I removed him. He refused to let the female lay eggs with the other male. Hahaha. At least I found out that he's a male while he is young. Rare :)

Back
Top Bottom