Angel breeding tube?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikey5290

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just trying to make sure I know what I am looking at.
Is this the "breeding tube" not sure the correct term.

And if it is does this appear to be M or F? My guess was male.tube.jpg

tube 2.jpg

Oh man...Where did my pics go? will have to post the pics later.

I can see them. My guess would be male but that is just a guess based on the shape of the head and what I can see of the tube.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can see them. My guess would be male but that is just a guess based on the shape of the head and what I can see of the tube.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Weird, I still cannot see my pics. But good to know others can.

Ya I agree with mikem... The tube seems to indicate that the Angel is a male. Not 100% sure tho and not an angel expert
Unlike some people here.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Is there a pair? With looking at tubes its not 100%. But if both are showing a hint is givin. The females tube is slightly bigger in diameter because she has to push eggs. With angels many experts say until you see them in the act, its not positive. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is there a pair? With looking at tubes its not 100%. But if both are showing a hint is givin. The females tube is slightly bigger in diameter because she has to push eggs. With angels many experts say until you see them in the act, its not positive. Hope this helps.

Totally understand.

If you remember from my thread in the unhealthy fish section, this is one of the 2 remaining after I separated the group because of breeding type behaviour (mainly aggression and cleaning the egg laying site).

I cannot get a clear picture of the other fish and he/she is apparently camera shy (think I see a more blunt shape). However I was more interested in making sure I knew what I was looking at, that this was in fact the breeding tube.

As always, I do appreciate all the help
Mike

+1 to Poppa ;) and I'll throw another curve ball at ya. SOME female tubes, when not fully extended, can have that pointy appearance. Case in point, my 1/2 Black female. I could not get a definite sexing until she laid eggs. I had her with 3 different males and at each pairing, I had doubts that it was a female because of the tube she was showing. So it goes to show that even the "experts" :whistle: can get fooled and only watching them spawn is a guaranteed way of sexing the fish. ( The female is the one that lays the eggs. :brows:;) :lol:)
Now, using some of my other tricks, without the tube, I believe that's a male as well. No guarantees tho. ;)(y)

+1 to Poppa ;) and I'll throw another curve ball at ya. SOME female tubes, when not fully extended, can have that pointy appearance. Case in point, my 1/2 Black female. I could not get a definite sexing until she laid eggs. I had her with 3 different males and at each pairing, I had doubts that it was a female because of the tube she was showing. So it goes to show that even the "experts" :whistle: can get fooled and only watching them spawn is a guaranteed way of sexing the fish. ( The female is the one that lays the eggs. :brows:;) :lol:)
Now, using some of my other tricks, without the tube, I believe that's a male as well. No guarantees tho. ;)(y)

Ahh man,, More secret tricks:brows::brows: I know I didn't provide on overhead photo.
So much to learn.

For now I will assume he is the male until eggs prove otherwise.

Just a thought....With everyone's years of combined experience is there any breeding behaviors that one could possibly use to help determine sex (say if you missed the actual egg laying)?

Ex-
-M/F does most of the cleaning of the egg laying site?
-M/F Guards the eggs more aggressively?
-M/F During courtship is the more aggressive to tankmates (if there are any)?

I noticed today my two were in the "t" position (similar to mbuna during mating) and seemed to be cleaning each other (mouthing/biting the body), nothing violent and neither seemed to be upset by it.

To be clear I know witnessing egg laying is the only true %100 way, just picking your brains.

Some say yes. Others say no. to your examples i say this. Everytime i think ive got it nailed on the signs/tricks/behaviours of sexing..... The next pair winds up proving me wrong and humbling my angelfish knowledge. Lol. Tricky lil buggers.

Just a thought....With everyone's years of combined experience is there any breeding behaviors that one could possibly use to help determine sex (say if you missed the actual egg laying)?

Ex-
-M/F does most of the cleaning of the egg laying site?
-M/F Guards the eggs more aggressively?
-M/F During courtship is the more aggressive to tankmates (if there are any)?

I noticed today my two were in the "t" position (similar to mbuna during mating) and seemed to be cleaning each other (mouthing/biting the body), nothing violent and neither seemed to be upset by it.

To be clear I know witnessing egg laying is the only true %100 way, just picking your brains.
Of your 3 examples, the only one that holds true about 51% of the time is the Male usually is the aggressor towards the tank mates when there is a female involved. The problem is when 2 females pair up, 1 will be more aggressive to the other fish in the tank so that throws the gender card out the window. So if you miss the spawn, the best way to tell is......... ( another secret here :brows: )......................................................................... during the next spawn. ;):whistle: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
( Sorry, I seem to be emoticon happy today. :D:lol: )(y)

Woke up this morning just in time to catch this
eggs.jpg
Woohoo!!:dance::dance:

Now 100% who is who.
Unfortunately they ignored my suggestions as to where the eggs belonged:lol:.
But as this is there first attempt I do not have high hopes for these eggs and may just let nature takes its course, and see how they do. Then remove the HOB filter so it is not an option for the nest time.

Started another thread on this topic but....methylene blue, banned in Ontario Canada? What are my options?

Mike

+1 to Poppa as well as using nitrofuazone in smaller doses as well as using nothing. If you are using clean, warmer water, you may be able to get away with not having the dead eggs fungus until after the others hatch. In this case, with a steady hand and a long toothpick, you can remove the white eggs from the slate so that they do not effect the good eggs. (I'm currently using this method on a spawn in some distilled water.) Just keep good water movement in front the of eggs to reduce the ability for the fungus to adhere.

Hope this helps. (y)

Well so far so good only had about 5 or 6 white eggs today. I transferred them to a little tank I had around (I think its 1 gallon) with water from the main tank. Set up the the airline with air stone just in front of the eggs, and there seems to be good water movement across them.
Also used a long BBQ skewer to remove the white eggs.

Never realized just how aggressive the parents could be. Mom Bit me good while I was reaching in for the eggs, she actually held on for a while.

Got my brine shrimp hatching area ready. Might try a small batch, just to make sure I know how.
(do you guys store you eggs in the freezer until needed?)

Fingers still crossed they make it to the wiggler stage.

Well so far so good only had about 5 or 6 white eggs today. I transferred them to a little tank I had around (I think its 1 gallon) with water from the main tank. Set up the the airline with air stone just in front of the eggs, and there seems to be good water movement across them.
Also used a long BBQ skewer to remove the white eggs.

Never realized just how aggressive the parents could be. Mom Bit me good while I was reaching in for the eggs, she actually held on for a while.

Got my brine shrimp hatching area ready. Might try a small batch, just to make sure I know how.
(do you guys store you eggs in the freezer until needed?)

Fingers still crossed they make it to the wiggler stage.
Yes, my eggs stay in the freezer 24/7. I just take the can out and spoon out as much as I need for the next day's feeding then return the can ( I actually pour a little into a zip lock bag and just use that daily:whistle: ) back into the freezer. FYI: my last can of eggs lasted over 30 years in the freezer without much degradation. (y)

Yes, Angels can be very protective. This is why I try to pull the slates from the top and when the parents are distracted because I am just tired of getting bitten and attacked :blink: :lol:

Good Luck!(y)
I use decapsulated brine shrimp eggs to feed directly to fry without any hatching!
I store my hatching eggs sealed tight but not in freezer.
I don't have a large supply of them either so......
:popcorn:

Good Luck!(y)
I use decapsulated brine shrimp eggs to feed directly to fry without any hatching!
I store my hatching eggs sealed tight but not in freezer.
I don't have a large supply of them either so......
:popcorn:

I was just looking at these, as I cannot find a large tin of eggs.
6gr for $4.50 I might go broke...

Back
Top Bottom