Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2005, 11:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

ANGEL EGGS!!!!!

I've noticed my angels hanging out together a lot lately, mostly by the filter intake. Today I took a peek at them, and the intake was covered in eggs . I watched the female lay a few of them. I've been keeping my eye on my guppy because she is pregnant, but I had no idea about the angels. They are guarding the eggs pretty good. Is it possible that both my angels are female and is just laying eggs, or do they only lay eggs if they are fertalized. This is completely unexpected, and I don't really know what to do. I am going to look into this and I am very excited. Could anybody give me any advice, I have a breeding net in the tank, so when they hatch I plan on seperating the fry. I do have a 10 gal and a 30 gal, but neither is not set up and they would need a good cleaning and a cycle. What kind of food do I need and how long before they hatch? I have some finely crushed flake food, but not any of the microscopic stuff that I think I need. Sorry for the long post, but this is my first and very, very unexpected. TIA. I will post parameters and pics soon!!

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Sounds to me like you have a pair. If the eggs are fertilized it takes two or three day to hatch. They may not get it right the first few times. Newly hatched brine shrimp make a great first food. The 30 gallon would make a great breeding tank. Set it up and move the pair in there, after they are done this time.

Oh and Congratulations.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to PsiPro Send a message via MSN to PsiPro
To my understanding, babby angels LOVE brine shrimp... Get ready to hatch them 23 7

Check out: http://websvirginia.com/angels/
Old 09-08-2005, 12:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the advice. I have to get home and get cleaning a tank. I haven't uploaded pictures of the the eggs yet, but the params are:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Temp - 82
GH - 38 dGH
KH - 14 dKH

As far as food they only get tropical flakes and tropical crisps, they love blood worms, but haven't had any in a while. They are in a 29 gal community tank, all the other inhabitants are in my sig. Well off to the lfs, then home to clean.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh yeah I knew I was forgetting something...

pH - 7.8

I know it is high, but I topped the tank off with SW (about 3/4 of a gal) and there is I think the salt is what is keeping it high.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:19 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Congrats haus...hopefully you will have a tank full of angel fry soon. I just noticed that you have a koi and a gold veil...that would make for some very interesting fry.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, all the eggs hatched, but I wasn't home when it happened. I searched the tank up and down and couldn't find a single fry . The extra 30 gal that I have is set up and running right now, so I will move the parents into that and hope for more eggs

Tags
angel, egg, eggs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com