Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Angel Eggs!

I was cleaning my planted 75 gallon tank last night and I noticed angelfish eggs on the leaf of one of my sword plants. Very exciting! Maybe this was a bad move (I know they would not survive in a community tank. ) I cut the leaf off at its base and carefully moved the leaf to my 5 gallon. This tank is kept very minimum with a sponge filter and heater, some java fern/moss for biological filtration (kept cycled with a betta who I evicted). This tank was originally set up for possible Apisto fry which I am actively trying to breed, but if my angels want to breed, then great!

This morning there are three or four white eggs, which I assume are unfertilized, but the rest are still clear. I stuck a plant weight to the bottom stem of the leaf to help it stay upright, and placed it near the sponge filter for good aeration.

Any advice you can give would be great, as I have never breed angels (or anything other then convicts )

Here are some pictures of the lovely parents and the eggs!

Thanks in advance!

DAD is like a mostly black mable coloration

MOM is zebra striped

Old 08-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
The eggs look good. Mine usually hatch in 2-3 days. A gentle flow from an air stone nearby will help keep the eggs clean. Egg yolk or newly hatched Brine shrimp make a good first food.

The parents are good looking fish, Congrats!!

Old 08-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich311k
The eggs look good. Mine usually hatch in 2-3 days. A gentle flow from an air stone nearby will help keep the eggs clean. Egg yolk or newly hatched Brine shrimp make a good first food.

The parents are good looking fish, Congrats!!
thanks!
Old 08-12-2007, 11:17 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Congrats JD, the potential color morphs you may get will be amazing with those two as the parents.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lucky!!!
Old 08-14-2007, 11:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've got wigglers!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

wOOt! Congrats "poppa".
Old 08-14-2007, 12:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Way to go!!
Old 08-19-2007, 01:12 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Good job - I never got mine to the wiggler stage - removed them twice , now I leave mine in the community . Now you have me wanting to see if I can raise some fry .
Old 08-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

i am to the free swimming stage, i have been feeding them BBS (frozen ) i hope they are eating them, as i can not tell
Old 08-22-2007, 04:15 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Big Ben
how are they doing?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:57 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
Good luck with your angel fry. Are you feeding them anything else besides frozen BBS? I've read that Cyclop-Eeze is a good alternative and intend to try it soon.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I feed mine frozen Hikari BBS and Hikari First Bites. They seem to do very well. I want to try the cyclop-eeze although it sounds like they're very similar to BBS. I also want to setup a sizable, rotating BBS hatchery soon. With it established I'd like to try the various gut-loading techniques and see if it improves mortality or growth rates. As soon as I can, I'm going to post some information about my community tank angel breeding experiments.

Congrats on your angel babies! Keep us posted!
Old 08-24-2007, 02:44 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
Unfortunately I just don't have the room to keep any live foods. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and already have 9 tanks set up. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of JDogg's angel fry. I could never get my angelfish eggs to the wriggler stage.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

well i lost all the fry in that spawning, i do not think they were eating the frozen bbs

BUT.... as i type the pair is laying a new batch, i plan to place an order for brine shrimp eggs and try to hatch my own (live) BBS!...
Old 08-29-2007, 01:51 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Big Ben
They spawned again? Nice. well hopefully all goes well this time. I love the black or almost all black angels. I almost got them but decided to try apistos instead.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

grrrr.... how frustrating.... despite doing everything "better" this time.

i filled the tank with water from the parents tank (it was betta water last time)

i did not expose the eggs to air this time. and i added Acriflavin right away this time, instead of waiting almost 48 hours, the eggs are all fungus!

Tags
angel, egg, eggs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com