Angel fish breeding pair??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryleyman

Aquarium Advice Freak
At the store where i work we got a pair of angel fish i was just wondering if could put them in my 36 bowl front by them selves?

Or just dont answer my question...thats fine too...

At the store where i work we got a pair of angel fish i was just wondering if could put them in my 36 bowl front by them selves?

Yes you can but just remember, if they are a breeding pair, they will most likely kill off any other fish you try to put in there. Are you sure that's what you want to have happen? If you aren't going to breed and raise the fry, why get them? You will also need more than the one tank to grow out the fry. Angels can spawn as frequently as every 7-10 days and the fry of different ages will not do well together. I use 4 tanks for every pair of Angels that I breed. One is for the breeders and the rest are for the different spawns with the last largest tank, (usually 75 gals or larger) for growing out the fry to salable size.

If you would like some more detailed info, there is a thread in the breeding forum titled "Wigglers at last" which is an ongoing thread about the care and upkeep needed to breed Angelfish. You may want to read through it before you get your fish (y)

Hope this helps (y)

Yes you can but just remember, if they are a breeding pair, they will most likely kill off any other fish you try to put in there. Are you sure that's what you want to have happen? If you aren't going to breed and raise the fry, why get them? You will also need more than the one tank to grow out the fry. Angels can spawn as frequently as every 7-10 days and the fry of different ages will not do well together. I use 4 tanks for every pair of Angels that I breed. One is for the breeders and the rest are for the different spawns with the last largest tank, (usually 75 gals or larger) for growing out the fry to salable size.

If you would like some more detailed info, there is a thread in the breeding forum titled "Wigglers at last" which is an ongoing thread about the care and upkeep needed to breed Angelfish. You may want to read through it before you get your fish (y)

Hope this helps (y)

Thank you very much and i am playing to breed them but i will get them tomorrow and i have another 30 gallon tank i can raise the fry in and didvide it up

Hope this helps (y)

Not exactly true the man my best friend got her breeding angels from had all the fry of all angels in one tank together with the parents 24/7 until sold. Everything went along great. That's how she's doing it at her house now and it's still working out just fine.

If you want to raise the fry on your own time that's fine, otherwise if you leave the fry with the parents they will raise the fry on their own too.

Or just dont answer my question...thats fine too...

An hours isn't enough time to answer your question. Most threads will get answered in their own time so there's no need to post that.
Back on topic: Andy has some great advice, as well as some great points. If you want a breeding pair, please make the effort to breed them amd care for their fry.

Not exactly true the man my best friend got her breeding angels from had all the fry of all angels in one tank together with the parents 24/7 until sold. Everything went along great. That's how she's doing it at her house now and it's still working out just fine.

If you want to raise the fry on your own time that's fine, otherwise if you leave the fry with the parents they will raise the fry on their own too.

Not to quibble but I find it hard to believe that all that was going on in a 30 gal tank. Angels are known to kill off previous spawns when preparing for the next spawn. It seems highly unlikely that there would be enough room in a 30 gal tank for multiple normal sized spawns (which is about 100-150 fry.) Considering that the fish can spawn every 7-10 days, that would mean that there would be over 400 fish trying to grow up in a 30 gal tank within a 30 day period. Considering that there has been a lot of research in how poorly fish grow when overcrowded, this does not sound like an ideal situation let alone possible. I'm sure the other Angel breeders on this site would agree.

Possibly your friend got that "One in a million" pair but I hardly suggest expecting that outcome every time, especially in that small of a tank. ;)

Se must have, because before she got them off CL the man had them spawning in a 20 gallon. Empty tank except heater and fry an parents. All the spawns were in there together except quarter sized and up were moved to a 55 gallon. The parents raised them all together. And still are what I believe now is a 40 gallon.

I got the pair today and ill figure some thing else out for the fry and can you guys please be more positive? thanks

I got the pair today and ill figure some thing else out for the fry and can you guys please be more positive? thanks

I'm not trying to be negative. :nono: In fact, I'm positive that if you follow what I have been telling you, you will be overloaded with Angelfish fry and you will need more tanks. :D The other AAers who have followed my suggestions are facing that same situation as I type this. ;)
In my last Hatchery, I was breeding 100 pairs of Angels. That took 400 tanks to do. If you think I could have done it with less tanks, I would have. :brows:

I wish you nothing but success. Keep us posted (y)

I'm not trying to be negative. :nono: In fact, I'm positive that if you follow what I have been telling you, you will be overloaded with Angelfish fry and you will need more tanks. :D The other AAers who have followed my suggestions are facing that same situation as I type this. ;)
In my last Hatchery, I was breeding 100 pairs of Angels. That took 400 tanks to do. If you think I could have done it with less tanks, I would have. :brows:

I wish you nothing but success. Keep us posted (y)

Well thank you very much! and holly jumpin thats a lot of tanks and angels i bet there worth a fortune!! and here is a picture of my angels...i think there beautiful but eveyone elses angels are way prettier:/

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130808_232129.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130808_232129.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 52
Andy and bob speak the truth i have three spawns now and now im scrounging to get the space required. I have 4 30g plastic tubs im gonna use instead of tanls

Well thank you very much! and holly jumpin thats a lot of tanks and angels i bet there worth a fortune!! and here is a picture of my angels...i think there beautiful but eveyone elses angels are way prettier:/

Don't sell your fish short. They are nice looking for sure (y) Nest step, eggs and fry :D

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130814_215641.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130814_215641.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 49
  • ForumRunner_20130814_215706.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130814_215706.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 58
  • ForumRunner_20130814_215955.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130814_215955.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 55
What are you talking about?? Those angels are just as BEAUTIFUL as any other angelfish out there!! My angelfish are currently in the middle of their very first egg laying spawn!! It's so exciting and fun to watch!!

I wish you the best with the angels!

What are you talking about?? Those angels are just as BEAUTIFUL as any other angelfish out there!! My angelfish are currently in the middle of their very first egg laying spawn!! It's so exciting and fun to watch!!

I wish you the best with the angels!

D'Awwh well thankss:3! and omg congrats!!im still waiting for mine to spawn hopfully soon!!:D

Back
Top Bottom