Angel Fish Eggs. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
So about 2 weeks ago my brother bought a tank off of Craigslist and with it he inherited two adult Angel Fish that he gave to me. I already had one in my 220 probably close to 7 months old now and that one is the largest and the other two are about 3 years old. So anyways, I came home from school today and found eggs!! I noticed two Angel Fish over by them so I'm assuming those are the parents. 2 Angel Fish have a larger blunt looking breeding vent and my other angel has a smaller pointier one. My angel appears to be eating the eggs so I'm assuming that one is the male. Should I take it out? And what are the sexes of my Angels? I either have 2 males and 1 female or 2 females and one male. What do I feed the fry if I get any?

The Silver one has the pointier breeding vent and that is the largest one that I've raised since the size of a Nickel. The other two I got from my brother. Any lights on the sexes? I'll post pictures from my phone.

Sorry guys it's not letting me post pictures from my phone or iPad.

The best analogy is that of a pencil. Males have a tube that resembles the tip - pointy and sharp, females will have a tube that resembles the eraser end - rounder and flat. So it would appear you have one male and two females.

Dreadz said:
The best analogy is that of a pencil. Males have a tube that resembles the tip - pointy and sharp, females will have a tube that resembles the eraser end - rounder and flat. So it would appear you have one male and two females.

Ok thanks! That explains why my first one is larger and why they never bred for the previous owner. Will the parents protect the fry and eggs from my other fish?

vanimal said:
Ok thanks! That explains why my first one is larger and why they never bred for the previous owner. Will the parents protect the fry and eggs from my other fish?

From what I've read on the subject (my plans to start an angel breeding project had to be put on hold when my old 100g tank died spectacularly) the chances are they may well eat the first few batches of eggs and/or fry. They should hopefully get the hang of rearing the young successfully but if they don't you'll have to transfer the eggs and rear them yourself.
Can't wait to start again myself. Am picking up another 100g tomorrow and then I can get some more angels and hopefully get a few breeding pairs on the go.
Good luck with your brood. Keep us posted.

Dreadz said:
From what I've read on the subject (my plans to start an angel breeding project had to be put on hold when my old 100g tank died spectacularly) the chances are they may well eat the first few batches of eggs and/or fry. They should hopefully get the hang of rearing the young successfully but if they don't you'll have to transfer the eggs and rear them yourself.
Can't wait to start again myself. Am picking up another 100g tomorrow and then I can get some more angels and hopefully get a few breeding pairs on the go.
Good luck with your brood. Keep us posted.

Update: All eggs have been eaten due to my male angel and blood parrots. :(

breeding angels should be kept by them selfs. you will have better success and healthier fry. i have 10 breeding pair and tons of young ones

I'm currently learning from experience (and advice from bob mccoy, thanks!). It may take a few spawns to get it right. My pair just laid their second batch of eggs and it looks like a successful run so far. Only a few days old and are in the wiggler stage. And I totally agree they should be in their own tank. I have mine in a 10 gallon (with this many fry it may be time to look for a 20 gallon)

the parents seem to be caring for the fry very well, when they wiggle themselves off the rock and fall to the bottom, they pick them up and spit them back on the rock. its awesome to see!

Wow it's not letting me type... Can I keep 3 Cories with my breeding pair?

Wow it's not letting me type... Can I keep 3 Cories with my breeding pair?

For maximum yield of fry per spawn, it's best to only keep a pair of breeders in a tank by themselves with nothing more than a heater, sponge filter and a spawning site (either a slate or flat rock angled against the side of the tank, A premade silicone breeding slate, or a clay pot) in the tank and a cover on top of the tank. Nothing else is necessary.
Cleaner fish increase the chances of losing spawns to either distraction by the breeder during spawning or by actually eating the eggs when the lights are out. By using a bare bottomed tank, you can easily keep the tank clean by siphoning out the detritis during routine water changes. I used just this method for over 40 years with great success and anyone else who I've taught it to has had the same results. ;)

I've worked up to 100 pairs of Angels (the same way described) so feel free to PM me for any advice (or if Bob McCoy is busy ;)) (y)

ty andy

andy is my buddy and knows his business i have learned well by him. i would recommend any one breeding angels to follow hid advice.

I just added them to the 20. I kinda feel bad because their old tank was 200 gallons bigger but hopefully they will lay their eggs and I can get them out of there soon.

Don't worry. I've had my all my breeders in either 10, 15 or 20 gal tanks ONLY. With too much room, too many distractions. If you are trying to breed your fish on purpose, you want them to only concentrate on breeding ;) You do not want to keep moving the fish from tank to tank. Leave them in the breeding tank.

BTW: I've created and raised over 1 million baby Angels in my career so I'm possitive them not being in a large tank is not a problem ;)

Andy Sager said:
Don't worry. I've had my all my breeders in either 10, 15 or 20 gal tanks ONLY. With too much room, too many distractions. If you are trying to breed your fish on purpose, you want them to only concentrate on breeding ;) You do not want to keep moving the fish from tank to tank. Leave them in the breeding tank.

BTW: I've created and raised over 1 million baby Angels in my career so I'm possitive them not being in a large tank is not a problem ;)

Even after the babies hatch?

Andy, another source to go by :)

These guys are good on advice. Bare bottom is much easier to see IMO

Even after the babies hatch?
My preference is to remove the eggs and hatch them artificially. HOWEVER, you can leave the eggs with the parents until they are about 30-45 days old and then they need to be moved into their own tank. Keep in mind that the longer the eggs & fry are with the parents, the longer it's going to take for the parents to spawn again. Mine spawned about every 7-10 days because I removed the eggs and hatched them in their own tank.

I used a system of 3 tanks per pair. (That's right, I had 300-10 gal tanks when I was breeding 100 pairs of fish.) I set them up on a rack 1 on top of the other. The top tank is for the breeders, The first spawn gows into the middle tank. The next spawn goes into the bottom tank. By the time the next spawn happens, the fry in the middle tank are ready to be moved to a growout tank so spawn #3 goes into the middle tank and the round robin continues. (y)

Andy Sager said:
My preference is to remove the eggs and hatch them artificially. HOWEVER, you can leave the eggs with the parents until they are about 30-45 days old and then they need to be moved into their own tank. Keep in mind that the longer the eggs & fry are with the parents, the longer it's going to take for the parents to spawn again. Mine spawned about every 7-10 days because I removed the eggs and hatched them in their own tank.

I used a system of 3 tanks per pair. (That's right, I had 300-10 gal tanks when I was breeding 100 pairs of fish.) I set them up on a rack 1 on top of the other. The top tank is for the breeders, The first spawn gows into the middle tank. The next spawn goes into the bottom tank. By the time the next spawn happens, the fry in the middle tank are ready to be moved to a growout tank so spawn #3 goes into the middle tank and the round robin continues. (y)

I think I just want one batch so after about a month I will move the adults back to my 220 and grow out the babies in my 20. How many are there usually that survive?

I think I just want one batch so after about a month I will move the adults back to my 220 and grow out the babies in my 20. How many are there usually that survive?

If all you want is the one spawn, once the eggs hatch, you can remove the parents back to the larger tank. No need to wait. The challenge is getting the eggs to hatch not the parents raising the fry. Once the fry become free swimming, they will need to be fed foods like newly hatched brine shrimp.
I will say this, an average spawn by a young breeding pair is about 100 fry. A 20 gal tank is too small to grow them out. They will become tank stunted if you keep them in there too long. You may want to separate a part of your 220 to grow out the fish. (Just a suggestion ;))

OMG that's a lot to handle at once! I guess I know what to so with my 46 gallon now. I'll let the parents raise them then move them to the 46 when it's time and let them lay again?

Back
Top Bottom