Angel fish help, pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bkmrsteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
Need help sexing my angle fish. I suspect I have two females, however it would be nice if one where a male.

They paired up from the start, and get along very well, but I understand two females will do the same.

Thanks,

ForumRunner_20120605_025823.jpg

ForumRunner_20120605_025847.jpg

I asked an acquaintance of mine that's bred them for over 30 years how he sexes the angels, and he said it's a total guess if you try. You have to observe them during breeding and look at the breeding tubes.

Zevyn said:
I asked an acquaintance of mine that's bred them for over 30 years how he sexes the angels, and he said it's a total guess if you try. You have to observe them during breeding and look at the breeding tubes.

Thanks for the reply. Mine may just be to small still to tell as well. none the less, they get along very well. Hardy ever see them apart.

Zevyn said:

+1.
Tubes definitely are the only sure way to tell

I guess when that is viable I'll be able to tell, at this point I can't tell any difference from them

They both still look female, how ever they have paired up together so well. Also have picked one spot in the tank they like to hide in together, so I layed some small plates of slate together there for um. They seem to like it.

Fully mature angels are pretty easy to visually sex actually. Younger ones are not. I agree that in the case of younger fish, observing breeding is the only conclusive way. This is why most breeders begin with a group and wait for a pairing to remove the others.

Back
Top Bottom