Angelfish aggressive behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob_w

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys
I got a group of angelfish from juveniles and now they are coming of age they are starting to pair off , they defend their territory from one another and I'm trying to decide how much aggression is to much ?
Iv had angelfish before and I remember it just settled down once a pecking order was formed ,but in this group they are all to brave ????

How many angels do you have and what size tank? Is the tank planted? As angels mature and pair off aggression increases, this is normal. Having a lot of plants especially large plants that break the line of sight in the tank up and can define territories can often help with aggression. As long as your not seeing actually physical injuries on any of the angels I wouldn't worry. I've always found over the years that once everyone pairs up and territories established things settle down a bit. There will always be some aggression. I have 12 large adult breeding angels in my 220g planted tank and over the past 3+ years I only had to remove 2 exceeding nasty tempered males. After they were sold the rest became more settled. I've even had up to 3 pairs spawning at the same time without issues due to the fact the tank is 100% planted.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393270128.702036.jpg it's a 450 English Litre tank so it's not a small tank
It's well planted plenty of hiding spots .
Regards to age they are 5 months old and they are spawning well but still not masters dropping eggs and not fertilising etc ,the only damage is split pectoral fins ,what plants do you have in your tank ?

That is a great size angel tank and you have it nicely planted. I wouldn't worry about the aggression if all your seeing is a little fin damage. If you do large weekly WC's the damage will heal. I see this off and on in my tank along with a missing scale here and there. As long as no one angel is getting picked on exclusively and there is no severe injuries I don't really worry and they always heal.

If you click on the link at the bottom of the post "Rivercat's 220g planted tank" You can view all the different plants in my tanks. Or go use this link for information on the 220g set up... January 2013 TOTM: Rivercats' 220 gallon Planted Community - Aquarium Advice. Some plants have changed but the overall layout is the same.

Sorry not replied sooner ,iv been mad busy with work .
Your tank looks amazing it looks spotless ,iv trimmed my plants back now so looks a little bare at the moment .im still a novice when it comes to plants,do you ever get algae growth on your plants ,it looks like you don't how do you keep it so clean ?

Back
Top Bottom