Angelfish are breeding unexpectedly... HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Aquaforce

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay i have an community planted 55 gallon, 2 of my angels have laid eggs, never experienced angels breeding.... only have had success with corydoras in the past, so any advice would help greatly!!!! Should i be covering the intakes of the filter with something to prevent the fry getting sucked in.... do i move the parents and babies to a different tank? Im freaking out lol

It is almost impossible to raise baby Angels in a community tank. They will eat the eggs to protect them from the other fish or the other fish will eat the eggs or fry. A couple things you can do to improve the odds slightly.
1.Take all the other fish out of the tank. Without disturbing the Angels if possible.
2. Put in a divider to isolate the Angels from the other fish.
If you want to raise baby Angels in the future the best thing to do is give them a tank of their own. A 29 gallon or larger works great.
Alternatively, you could put a spawning slate or two in the tank and hope they spawn on the slate. Then pull it out and raise the babies yourself. It all depends on how committed you are to raising baby Angelfish.

What I did was cut the leaf that has the eggs and I would fill up a container of the aquarium water and put the container under the water and place the leaf in the container and then gently take the container out. I put the eggs in a small container with a air stone blowing gently over the eggs. Put in some peroxide to keep fungus away from the eggs. Do small partial water changes every other day.

Once eggs have hatched I transfer them over to the fry jar. I use the fry just from angels plus. Watch the video on angles plus website. The video will show you how to use the jar. If you use the fry jar you will need to put the jar in the parents tank a few day before you transfer the babies into it. This will give the sponges in the fry jar time to get the beneficial bacteria growing. I hope this helps you.

The eggs quickly died to fungus... however im figuring out if i should attempt to try breeding the two in my 25 gal i have... just not to sure about investing into it...

If you are committed to doing this you will need to find a outlet for the angel babies. Adult Angelfish can lay up to 300 or more eggs and if you dont have some way to sell them you will end up with a ton of fish. Something to think about.

The 25 gallon would be a good size to start. Although the bigger the better. Try and let the parents raise the babies if you can. It might take them a few tries to get it right. They may eat the first couple of spawns. Keep the water pristine which means water changes every couple of days after the eggs hatch. Sorry for the late response.

Back
Top Bottom