Angelfish Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carrie1

Aquarium Advice Activist
So it is the 3rd time my angels have spawned but they keep eating the eggs. But anyways my females fins are pretty torn up from the male pecking at her during their little mating ritual. The last two times her fins weren't too bad but this time they are pretty ratty. I've been doing more water changes but is there anything else I can do for her? And fingers crossed they don't eat all the baby's this time ☺☺ Thank you in advance!

Methylene blue and clean water will fix her up...
Try pulling the eggs and artificially hatching if you want fry..Most angels are lousy parents IMO..

I have some aquarium tablets that contain meth blue would those work? And will it harm my plants or snails? And I believe I'm going to take the eggs out this time even though I feel terrible taking them away ? I have one of those little floating breeder boxes could I put the eggs in there with a bubbler? And lastly will the meth blue harm the eggs/fry?

Methylene blue and clean water will fix her up...
Try pulling the eggs and artificially hatching if you want fry..Most angels are lousy parents IMO..
OK Bandit, You refer this Methylene blue a few times on here. Will that stuff die silicone? Or hurt catfish, or plecos? I've been looking for something else to have on hand other than salt all the time. In case things take a turn for the worse. And I know salt ain't good all the time.

OK Bandit, You refer this Methylene blue a few times on here. Will that stuff die silicone? Or hurt catfish, or plecos? I've been looking for something else to have on hand other than salt all the time. In case things take a turn for the worse. And I know salt ain't good all the time.
Meth Blue usually wont die the silicone.

I have some aquarium tablets that contain meth blue would those work? And will it harm my plants or snails? And I believe I'm going to take the eggs out this time even though I feel terrible taking them away ? I have one of those little floating breeder boxes could I put the eggs in there with a bubbler? And lastly will the meth blue harm the eggs/fry?

Meth. Blue is an Anti-Fungal. When used properly it helps the eggs not harm them

The eggs should have the MB in the water until they become wigglers. Follow the directions on the tablets for the tanks volume and use the tank water with MB for eggs also .Use an air stone in the breeder box to keep water moving but not washing the wigglers around.
Everyone says this and that stains silicone ..Silicone doesn't stay clear forever and some people get black .Methylene used to be used in mouthwash....Pretty safe like the safest of stuff. I think the staining many see fades just a little slower then it arrives?
I am all against salt . It is the most over used ,over rated chemical/element added to aquarium water IMO. There is no salt in my fish room except for my marine tank...

I have heard that Methylene blue will stain the silicone. I use Jungle Fungus Cure tabs instead, 1/2 tab per gallon works great. Doesn't stain and is safe for everything. Not even real critical that it comes out when they become wigglers. Will not harm plecos or cories.

I have heard that Methylene blue will stain the silicone. I use Jungle Fungus Cure tabs instead, 1/2 tab per gallon works great. Doesn't stain and is safe for everything. Not even real critical that it comes out when they become wigglers. Will not harm plecos or cories.
Yeah, I Started up my tanks off with jungle right start. Now I use prime. I'll look into that. I'm just starting to hate using salt on freshwater fish when I get new ones. Need something more gentle, but works fast, that won't make my tanks look like crap after. Thank you!

Thank you guys for all the responses! Her fins are all healing up nicely with just clean water so no meds this time thankfully! Unfortunately they ate all the eggs right after laying them this time so I wasn't able to save them. But I will try again in a few weeks when they spawn again!

Thank you guys for all the responses! Her fins are all healing up nicely with just clean water so no meds this time thankfully! Unfortunately they ate all the eggs right after laying them this time so I wasn't able to save them. But I will try again in a few weeks when they spawn again!
You could always try a divider to separate the pair from other fish. Sometimes it works. Cause there would be no threat if it was just them alone.

Another odd thing...since eating the eggs they are acting like they are about to lay eggs again doing all the lip locking and pecking behaviors? They usually don't do that again for another 2 weeks or so. Any ideas? Is it because they ate the eggs so quickly this time? I have a 20 gallon tall I just picked up but no heater until this week so I haven't been able to separate them yet.

Another odd thing...since eating the eggs they are acting like they are about to lay eggs again doing all the lip locking and pecking behaviors? They usually don't do that again for another 2 weeks or so. Any ideas? Is it because they ate the eggs so quickly this time? I have a 20 gallon tall I just picked up but no heater until this week so I haven't been able to separate them yet.
In some cases, one breeder will " punish" the mate for eating the eggs. This may be the case here. It shouldn't get worse than some lip locking and mock fighting but it does usually help the eater stop doing that on future spawns.
( Keep in mind tho, some egg eaters never change. )

Yes the pecking and lip locking stopped pretty quickly. My female is plump with eggs again so hopefully I'll be able to pull the eggs this time. I'm going to pick up a heater for my 20 this weekend so I have a tank IF I ever get babies! ☺ Thank you for the advice!

Yes the pecking and lip locking stopped pretty quickly. My female is plump with eggs again so hopefully I'll be able to pull the eggs this time. I'm going to pick up a heater for my 20 this weekend so I have a tank IF I ever get babies! ☺ Thank you for the advice!
So, cool! I hope so! Good luck to you! [emoji38]

Thank you ☺☺ I'm really only wanting to get babies once just to watch them grow and to know I did it. I'm fascinated with baby fish and it's so rewarding seeing them grow and mature! Ahh I'm excited ? I just picked up a heater for my 20 to start setting it up for babies so hopefully she lays her eggs soon!

Thank you ☺☺ I'm really only wanting to get babies once just to watch them grow and to know I did it. I'm fascinated with baby fish and it's so rewarding seeing them grow and mature! Ahh I'm excited ? I just picked up a heater for my 20 to start setting it up for babies so hopefully she lays her eggs soon!
Yeah, I'll get there too one day. I was hoping my 2 bigger angels would mate. But, I had to pull my male out from being the bully of the tank. So, I gotta find a different male for my female, or just wait till my little guys get alittle bigger. I'm wanting the same think. Just to do it and watch them grow. Doing that with my blue platy's soon,maybe even my Betta's too. I hope! My bigger tank will probably be overstocked by the time I'm done. Lol!

Wen you get eggs shout it out !
There's a few tricks still to help you out..
I would start with having a small air driven sponge filter running now in the breeding tank..
It can be moved when you move the eggs.. You really don't want any other kind of filter..
I use 2 Aquatops in my small tanks.. One the smallest [$2.39 CAF 10]and the other next up in size [CAF 25 $3.99 ]..
You want the small one as the fry tank should only be 1/2 full to start them out..This makes getting to surface and finding food easier..You add water over the next week or 2 in place of water changes ,as they will be tough to do with a swarm of fry...

Awesome coralbandit thank you! I'll check out those sponge filters! I have an itty bitty adjustable pump I wonder if I could rig up something like a sponge filter with it? At least until I order one. On it's lowest setting it's pretty calm.

Back
Top Bottom