Angelfish breeding questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YunoGasai212121

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My angelfish look like they are about to breed because they keep pecking the top of the heater and the heater cord and the plant that’s next to the heater and are very defensive of that area. They are paired off and I had a few questions about how to breed them. I’m planning on removing the eggs once they are fertilized if I am lucky.

What should I do/buy to set up a tank for angelfish babies?

How do I take care of angelfish fry?

How often to angelfish lay eggs?

What can I do to promote breeding?

How do I know they are fertilized?

They nip at each other’s back fins and their chest, is this normal mating behavior?

I have three angelfish do I have to remove the third one if it looks like it’s doing okay and isn’t to stressed because it would be inconvenient to move the third one?

Tank info
Tank size: 29G
Filter: tetra whisper 30
Tank temp: 79F
Fish topic: breeding
Water changes: 50% per 2 weeks
Chemical additives: 3 angelfish
Plants: plastic
No chemicals added

The mom:
View attachment 309706

The dad:
View attachment 309707

Them cleaning the heater:
View attachment 309709

The other angelfish
View attachment 309708

What should I do/buy to set up a tank for angelfish babies?
Get a 2-1/2 gallon and a ten gallon tank, bare bottom with cycled sponge filters.

How do I take care of angelfish fry?
They will hatch on day 3 and go free swimming on day 8 or 9. Feed them newly hatched baby brine shrimp.

How often to angelfish lay eggs?
Usually they lay every 7 to 14 days.

What can I do to promote breeding?
Put them in their own tank and feed them good.

How do I know they are fertilized?
Unfertilized eggs turn w3hite. Fertilized eggs stay amber colored.

They nip at each other’s back fins and their chest, is this normal mating behavior?
Yes.

Remove the third Angel now. Get a breeding slate and put it in the tank. Remove anything you don't want them to spawn on if you plan to pull the eggs, like broad leafed plants. First spawn will probably fail, don't worry about it. If you leave the eggs, they will hatch on day 3 and the parents will probably move them somewhere. After 5 or 6 more days they will go free swimming and need to be fed baby brine shrimp. If you want to move the babies into their own tank, siphon them into a clean small tank, 2-1/2 or 5 gallon work good. If you pull the eggs, put them in the 2-1/2 with a small sponge or open air lines. They will fall off whatever they were laid on and wiggle on the bottom until they go free swimming.

Do I really really have to move the third one and if I have to is 7G good enough for the third one cause I’d have to divide my 10 cause I got 3 little neon tetras

I moved the third one but he’s not very happy and idk it might be to small but honestly I can’t get another tank so it’ll have to do or maybe I’ll give the neons to my brother
IMG_0003.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2289.jpg
    IMG_2289.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 73
Are these numbers ok for an angelfish tank with now 2 angelfish
NO3 20
NO2 0
Ph 7
Kh 80
Gh140
Ammonia 0.03