Angelfish eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tadpole1567

Aquarium Advice Activist
Found my marbel laying eggs today. Assuming that they dont get eaten how long till they hatch?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1402108579255.jpg
    1402108579255.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 1402108596485.jpg
    1402108596485.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 131
Usually they turn into "wigglers" in two days and free swimming by day 4. But free swimmers won't fair well next to the filter intake. May help to unplug the filter for a day or two if they make it too that point.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay thank you so much lol ive got two filters on the tank so shouldnt be a problem.its day two and both angels are still guarding the eggs. They seem to be doing well

At 78-80 degrees, Angelfish eggs hatch in approx 72 hours ( 3 days). If the water is warmer, they will hatch quicker, if colder, longer. Free swimming fry from wild fish should be in about 3-4 days but most of us breeders with domestic fish ( which you have) are finding the fry are taking more like 6-7 days to become free swimming. Again, water temps play a key role in the timing.
There is a thread in this breeding forum titled "Wigglers at last!!!" which is an ongoing thread all about breeding and raising Angelfish. It might help for you to read through it. Pretty much everything you need to know about the process has been discussed in that thread.

As previously mentioned, you do want to turn off that HOB as it will definitely suck up the fry once they hatch. Breeders recommend using an air driven sponge filter when raising fry to prevent accidental deaths by filtration. Considering your eggs are 2 days old already, you might want to remove the intake stem with the eggs and try hatching them out in a separate tank or jar. This will buy you some time to get a proper setup going for raising the fry. I've kept my babies in a 1 gal jar for up to 30 days depending on the size of the spawn. ( You can see my hatching setup within the wigglers thread.)

Good luck. (y)

Okay i have a large jar i could definetly use. Water temp stays at 82-84 in my community tank where they are. Ill move them to that when i get home. Im hoping they are still there lol

Okay i have a large jar i could definetly use. Water temp stays at 82-84 in my community tank where they are. Ill move them to that when i get home. Im hoping they are still there lol

At that temp, they should hatch in less than 72 hours but no telling exactly when. If they haven't hatched yet and you move the eggs, make sure you supply an airline with an airstone in the bottle so that you are blowing a mild stream of bubbles in front of the eggs. You can see a drawing of this setup here in my albums: Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Andy Sager's Album: Instruction charts - Picture
(Keep in mind that the eggs would be on the bubble side of the slate. I forgot to draw them in when I did this. :facepalm: :lol:)

If they have hatched, you can still move them as their threads seem to be very strong so they should stay attached to the pipe when you move them. You will still need the airstone in the bottle but the placement just needs to be in the bottle not specifically blowing in front of them.

Hope this all helps (y)

Well the eggs were gone when i got home from work lol. Ill definetly try next time since now i know what to do lol. Thank yall for the advice :)

Well the eggs were gone when i got home from work lol. Ill definetly try next time since now i know what to do lol. Thank yall for the advice :)

Before you give up on this spawn, study your breeder's behavior. It's very common for Angels to move their spawns once the eggs hatch. They will hide them in plants and decorations to protect them. If you see one of the parents paying close attention to something that that doesn't look quite right, you can assume they hid the fry in that. ( I have one female that moved a spawn into a plastic plant and just stared at it for days. Odd behavior..... definite reason. (y))

Keep us posted (y)

Well first spawn I'm assuming got eaten lol. Second spawn some of the eggs turned white I'm assuming they weren't fertile? Then disappeared. I only have my community tank but I have a tank divider so next time I see them cleaning a spot I'm gonna put that in and hope I get a good turn out. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well first spawn I'm assuming got eaten lol. Second spawn some of the eggs turned white I'm assuming they weren't fertile? Then disappeared. I only have my community tank but I have a tank divider so next time I see them cleaning a spot I'm gonna put that in and hope I get a good turn out. :)

Don't be concerned about the white eggs disappearing. Usually the parents eat those dead eggs to protect the live eggs from getting diseased by the bad eggs if they fungus over.
Since you only have the community tank, you may want to study up on artificially hatching the eggs. This will eventually require more tanks for the fry but that is what breeding Angelfish is all about. It's not a viable thing to do unless you have a lot of space or a really big tank. They breed like rabbits :blink::lol:

Hmm I may have to do that lol. I'd love to get some fry from my two angels. They are both goregeous.

Back
Top Bottom