Angelfish Eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkP

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just received an early christmas gift...

I couldn't understand why, after moving my two angelfish to a new, 110 gallon tank, any additional angels I added soon died.

However, I was cleaning the tank today to make sure it was pretty when people showed up for thanksgiving, and noticed the backside of one of my rocks covered in eggs!

The Angels had been hanging out in this area for the past day or so, so I'm not certain when they were laid. Currently they are both hovering over the eggs, fanning them and chasing away anyone else.

At this point, I'm still debating.

The parents appear to be showing what I've seen described as "Good Parent" behavior. They are guardiing the eggs, not eating them, and constantly fanning them. So I'm seriously considering leaving them. The other fish in the 110 gallon are cories, SAE's, and BN Plecos. If they survive the egg stage, I would think the parents are the biggest threat to fry. But I've never had eggs or even fry before. (Well, the shrimp, but they hardly count! No special care is required)

My 45 gallon tank is out- The fry would be eaten in a heartbeat. And my 10 gallon is currently breeding Red Cherry shrimp- I'd prefer not to have to do heavy water changes in this one.

I was totally unprepared for this event!

Congrats I would just let them give it a try. They will lay again and again. You can prepare for the event if you wish in the future.

And the verdict is... I get to setup another tank!

There is some question as to whether the eggs were ever fertilized (I was at work, but my wife tells me they went from light yellow to off white), but they definately went away.

Keep your eyes peeled for sure....when my eggs 'went away' I was sure something had eaten them (other fish, parents, etc.) but I noticed my female angel acting strange the other day and she was carrying several hatched fry in her mouth and spitting them out on a leaf. Your fish may have just scooped their eggs up in their mouths and moved them somewhere else....or still have them in their mouths, protecting them from other fish. Mine are guarding and carrying around (in their mouths) about 5 tiny fry. Don't count yours out yet.

Back
Top Bottom