AngelFish Eggs (Eating/White)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinJ87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been keeping Angelfish in some of my planted tanks for some time now and never decided to get into breeding until recently. Here are a list of my attempts.

(1st pair : Koi Male Angel Fish - Black Koi Female AngelFish)
Laid plently of eggs, always ended up eating them.

(2nd pair : Koi Male Angel Fish (same one) - Veil Angelfish female (new)
This is their third batch.

1st) they ate or whatever.
2nd) I took out by scooping into a net and just putting it into a 2.5 gallon with a ton of air stone pressure to keep moving them around. They turned white and no good. (realized what I did wrong after watching videos).

This attempt - Purchased a green slate acrylic angelfish breeder. They just laid a batch today and they used it perfectly.

I am going to attach a picture but I am worried either the Male just doesn't knwo what to do (He is old and has plenty of experience though).

I am going to leave the light on 24/7 this time and I added a little M-Blue to help.

The shelf in the back room that I am building for tanks for breeding is not ready so I cannot take this batch out and put it in a new tank with an airstone.

Can you see anything wrong with these eggs (Just laid maybe an hour old).

:thanks::dance:

vKBmGIA

9KYBDNh

davxtlk

bkdFkGM

In most cases, you will not see issues with eggs for the first 24 hours +/-. In one case of mine I actually watched the female lay white dead eggs. :(
In the case of today's Angels, age is not always a plus for results. It helps with fertility but not verility so you may get smaller percentage yields even tho the female lays a lot more eggs. A lot of this is going to be dependent on the genetic makeup of the fish. The fewer mixes it has and the closer to wild form it has in it's makeup, the better the results tend to be. Not true in all cases but in most.

In the case of your removed eggs, high air pressure was probably the problem. Angelfish eggs don't need high air volume but just a gentle blow in front of them to keep them from having dirt in the tank settle on the egg and killing it. Once hatched, air pressure can be raised but not too high as the fry produce a string that attaches them to a place where they can continue their development. If the air is strong enough to detach them from their position, it's too strong. ;)

There is an old thread on here called "Wigglers at last!!!!" which is now closed to new comment. It was an ongoing conversation by both hobbyist and professional Angelfish breeders. Just about everything you need to know about breeding and raising this fish specie had been discussed in the thread. It's a long one, because there is a lot to know. ;) If you read through it, it might help you along. (y)

Sadly only 24 hours after all of the eggs are COMPLETE milk white. I even left them in the tank this time, with the light on overnight. I am starting to think my male koi does not know what he is doing or is sterile.

The female was doing an AMAZING job, not only using the brushing method but using her side fins to dust the eggs every minute or so.

She has strong maternal instincts, now I just have to figure out why the eggs are going solid white every time. This is the 3rd female I have tried so it has to be the male.

He does go along the eggs NOT exactly right after but 10 seconds or so after she makes a line he does his thing, but I don't ever see anything come out of him? Should I?

I am keeping the eggs in case for some reason the white isn't the bad white I as assuming but they are was white as milk and its almost day 2 now.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=302631&stc=1&d=1502677481

Attachments

• File Aug 13, 10 23 13 PM.jpg
    File Aug 13, 10 23 13 PM.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 395
Fish

Here is the Male Big Koi and the Veil Female.
Here are the eggs in their current state.

Notice a lot less eggs, larger, very milk white.

Idk we have a Brochure fish in there, if he could be eating them as develop into wigglers? I know I spelled the fish name wrong, my fiance just HAD to have him.

Like I said i have a tanks being setup in the fish room I am building but they spawned before the tanks were ready.

IF you see anything wrong with teh eggs / or fish please let me know. Thanks everyone.

:thanks:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=302632&stc=1&d=1502678950
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=302633&stc=1&d=1502678950
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=302634&stc=1&d=1502678950

Attachments

• File Aug 13, 10 43 46 PM.jpg
    File Aug 13, 10 43 46 PM.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 99
  • File Aug 13, 10 44 42 PM.jpg
    File Aug 13, 10 44 42 PM.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 80
  • File Aug 13, 10 45 27 PM.jpg
    File Aug 13, 10 45 27 PM.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 74
If the eggs are white, they are dead. The "WHY" they are dead is up for a number of possibilities. (IE infertility, genetic mismatch, bad water quality, milt being washed away from the eggs before they can attach, etc.) So you need to address each possibility one at a time so you know which one was the cause.

I suggest that if you plan on raising the fry, this be done with no other fish in the tank. Fish fry are #1 food source for almost every type of fish so success rates go up exponentially when the eggs are left either to the parents alone or by artificial rearing. ( Artificial rearing usually has the highest number of fry survival even over parent rearing.) All the instructions for doing this is in the "Wigglers..." thread I mentioned in a prior post.
When the eggs hatch, they usually do it all within a couple of hours of each other so if the spawn size remains the same only with white eggs, none of them are hatching.

Lastly, I will suggest that you don't leave the slate with dead eggs in the tank for the parents to eat. This has caused breeder Angels to become habitual egg eaters and will eat not only dead eggs but live ones as well. You would be better off (IMO) to just remove the slate of dead eggs, clean it off and sterilize it then replace in the breeder tank.
Hope this helps (y)

Thank you verym uch and i as mentioned I do plan on self-rearing, the fish room is almost done in construction so I will have multiple breeders setup. They just are laying weekly almost.

I am thinking because the flow is high in that tank the sperm is not making it to the eggs.

Sponge filters have proven over time to be one of the best filters for breeder/fry tanks. Might want to look into changing your filter if you have a flow issue. Sponge filters do not remove the milt like HOBs and other chemical filters can.

Back
Top Bottom