Angelfish eggs help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had 2 angelfish who have paired off and laid eggs it's been 3 days now and here are the eggs!

Forget the white eggs I'm in the process of removing them but will the yellow eggs hatch? And how I can get a good success rate

Thanks for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can anyone help me please???

It's not a good sign that you were able to remove the eggs as healthy Angelfish eggs are usually very sticky and not easy to remove from the site they were laid on. The white eggs are dead but you really don't need to remove them if the parents are left to care for them or if you use some form of antifungal such as Methylene Blue or Hydrogen Peroxide.
At 78-80 degrees, the eggs should have hatched at 72 hours ( longer if colder, shorter if warmer) so if they have not hatched yet, that too is not a good sign.

Thankfully, Angelfish give you many opportunities to raise fry and their first spawns are generally not very successful so if these don't work, not to panic. ;) For a more complete answer on care and breeding, I suggest you read through " http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/wigglers-at-last-237956.html " This was an ongoing conversation with pro and hobbyist Angel breeders and just about everything you need to know was discussed in that thread. (y)

It's not a good sign that you were able to remove the eggs as healthy Angelfish eggs are usually very sticky and not easy to remove from the site they were laid on. The white eggs are dead but you really don't need to remove them if the parents are left to care for them or if you use some form of antifungal such as Methylene Blue or Hydrogen Peroxide.
At 78-80 degrees, the eggs should have hatched at 72 hours ( longer if colder, shorter if warmer) so if they have not hatched yet, that too is not a good sign.

Thankfully, Angelfish give you many opportunities to raise fry and their first spawns are generally not very successful so if these don't work, not to panic. ;) For a more complete answer on care and breeding, I suggest you read through " http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/wigglers-at-last-237956.html " This was an ongoing conversation with pro and hobbyist Angel breeders and just about everything you need to know was discussed in that thread. (y)

It wasn't that's easy I had to get a plastic spoon and scrap off the eggs from the leave.
Yeah I know that but the angelfish are in a community tank with other angels as well.
Before I have left the eggs be with the parents but when I check the next morning they are all gone so I thought let me have a go myself.

Yeah the thing is the tank I put the eggs in the water is colder than where the eggs were laid so I'm assuming that's why they haven't hatched quickly enough!

They have all turned white now so I threw them away but is there anything I can do differently to get them to hatch on my own?

Thanks for your help

Next time if they spawn on a leaf cut the leaf and move it to another tank, do not try to scrape the eggs off. Put anti-fungal and an air line in the tank to maintain good circulation. Another alternative is to put a divider in the tank to separate the parents from the other fish and give them a little privacy.

It's all explained how in the "Wigglers at last!!! thread. (y)

Do you know what page i should look at as it is very long reading through all of it. i just wants some main tips

Next time if they spawn on a leaf cut the leaf and move it to another tank, do not try to scrape the eggs off. Put anti-fungal and an air line in the tank to maintain good circulation. Another alternative is to put a divider in the tank to separate the parents from the other fish and give them a little privacy.

yeah i cut the leave but then scraped them of in a tea strainer and put air stone underneath it so that the eggs can bounce about freely. if it was attached to the leave the eggs wouldnt get good circulation will they?

i dont have a divider to put in the tank unless there is a cheap place to buy them from?

Do you know what page i should look at as it is very long reading through all of it. i just wants some main tips

There is important info throughout the thread. If you are serious about wanting to be successful at breeding Angels, it's well worth the time to read through it. I know I put info gained over 40 years of breeding these fish in the thread. If you just want some bullet points, I suggest getting some old books on breeding so you can get a general idea of what's involved. The thread has more of the specifics. (y)

What Andy said...

Feeding afterwards is a chore. That is a key issue as well. Walmart has hang on the side breeder nets $4.

But you need much more to do the job well. Getting them to live is something but getting prepared and having fish worth spending the time and money on is even better.

Yeah maybe i'll have a look into that but right now I need them to hatch!

Back
Top Bottom