Angelfish Eggs in a Community Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishesfriend

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My newly paired angelfish couple just laid eggs on a plant leaf 2 hours ago. They've staked their claim in my 54g corner tank and the other fish are steering clear whilst they tend their eggs. Thing is, I have zero desire to breed them. Will any survive in a community tank?

I will not be moving anyone to a new tank or dividing this one. I just want to know what (other than aggression) will likely happen.

All of the above or the parents might kill off the other fish if they get too close to their eggs. Best would be to remove the eggs from the tanks to remove the need for any aggression. The fry and/ or eggs , while a good protein source for the fish that eat them, have little chance in a community tank and cause more issues than solve them.

The issue with Angelfish these days is that they are no longer a fish where there are specifics anymore. All you can get are generalities. The odds are just not in their favor but they are not 100% because it has happened. The best way to prevent turmoil from happening is to get gender specific fish so there is no mating. I choose to do all males because females sometimes will spawn either by themselves or with another female and that's just chaos with no good reason to have. (y)

The issue with Angelfish these days is that they are no longer a fish where there are specifics anymore. All you can get are generalities. The odds are just not in their favor but they are not 100% because it has happened. The best way to prevent turmoil from happening is to get gender specific fish so there is no mating. I choose to do all males because females sometimes will spawn either by themselves or with another female and that's just chaos with no good reason to have. (y)

Thank you for the insight. I know my LFS tells me they can't sex Angels until they mate, but I read some things that seem true to all I've seen and will def go the all-male route next time. Right now I have 1 confirmed male & female and one suspected female. I'm not great at sexing them, but I'm 98% sure.

And no, I'd rather not have the pain of a breeding pair or really the eggs at all.

Back
Top Bottom