Angelfish Fry Dying....AGAIN!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morningman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've tried everything. I simply cannot keep newly hatched angels alive.I take the spawn from the parents.... keep them warm, clean water, 6.8ph, I've tried malachite green, methylyne blue, acriflavine, mar-oxy, etc. but they keep dying even before becoming free swimming. What am I doing wrong? I am open for any and all suggestions. I hatch them with a small cycled sponge filter in a 2.5 gallon tank. No ammonia, no nitrates.

Don't use the sponge filter. There is no need for any filtration until after the fry are free swimming. If you add Methylene blue it will kill the filter. I use MB to hatch with only an airstone,water from the tap, at 80F. When they hatch I start daily water changes to remove the MB. By the time they are free swimming the MB is pretty much gone.I don't usually add filtration until I move them out of the 2.5, doing large daily water changes (75% to 80%) instead. When I move them to a larger tank I add a filter , but still do large daily water changes.
Since the eggs are hatching, there may be other factors at work. The fry may be weak, which can sometimes be rectified by better conditioning of the parents. It is also possible that there is a problem with the parents.

I let mine hatch with the parents and then remove them to a sponge filtered 10g for the first two weeks then a 40g,40gB or a 45H for 2week to 12 week if they stick around that long. my 6 week olds are the size of 10 week olds so they get sold quickly.

can or have you left them till freeswimming stage with the parents?
Bill is correct, alot of it can be defunct parents.

Back
Top Bottom