Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Angelfish Fry Grow-out Tank - Cleaning

I have a 10g bare bottom breeding / grow-out tank, and about 100-150 fry became free swimming today. I know that clean water is a must, and I have been changing 1-2 gallons a day since they were laid. I am feeding them fresh hatched Brine Shrimp twice a day. But how important is it to clean the bottom of the tank to remove uneaten shrimp / waste / dead fry? Do I need to do this daily? Also, how do I avoid from sucking up the tiny fry from while I vacuum the bottom of the tank? I am using a rigid tube connected to an airline to vacuum and I accidentally sucked up 5 today while doing a quick clean-up.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBCoggin View Post
I have a 10g bare bottom breeding / grow-out tank, and about 100-150 fry became free swimming today. I know that clean water is a must, and I have been changing 1-2 gallons a day since they were laid. I am feeding them fresh hatched Brine Shrimp twice a day. But how important is it to clean the bottom of the tank to remove uneaten shrimp / waste / dead fry? Do I need to do this daily? Also, how do I avoid from sucking up the tiny fry from while I vacuum the bottom of the tank? I am using a rigid tube connected to an airline to vacuum and I accidentally sucked up 5 today while doing a quick clean-up.
I can answer your questions with one word: VERY!!!!
It is very important to keep the tank floor clean of decaying food, detritus and dead fry. If you are having too much uneaten food, cut back on the amount you feed at each feeding. I actually prefer feeding smaller amounts 3 times per day. My vacuuming of the tank bottom (using the same method you are using ) usually took about 5 minutes so if you are taking longer, you are feeding too much and YES, it should be done daily.
It is very important to keep the water quality up. I achieved this in my hatchery by only needing to replace about 1/2 gal of water once a day to replace the water I vacuumed out during the day.

It is VERY important to try to not suck up the fry into the tubing. (Okay, not VERY but it doesn't really do the fry any good. ) The easiest way to avoid this is the raise up the recepticle you are siphoning into to just below the level of the bottom of the tank. This will make the water siphon slower and give the fry a chance to escape the water suction. The higher the recepticle, the slower the draining.

Lastly, in about 3 weeks or so, you are going to need to get those babies out of that 10 gal if you want them grow. A 10 gal is fine for the first stage of their lives but once they start growing their "wings" (anal and dorsal fins) they will need to be spread out.

I have a little experience at doing this (I've raised over 1 million baby angelfish in my career ) so feel free to PM me if you need more help

Old 08-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

U need to move angels to bigger tank first. 10 gal way to small for angels.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

This might take a little longer, but you could use a turkey baster to remove what you don't want in the tanks.

Hope this is helpful.

Tags
angel, angelfish, clean, cleaning, fry, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com