Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Angelfish fry not getting to free swimming stage

So it's been like 5 spawns since my angel pair had free swimming fry. I have a piece of slate for them to spawn on and they will do a good job getting them to hatch. While in the wiggler stage they will move them to a decoration right next to the sponge filter then back to the other side of the tank close to the slate then sometimes somewhere else in the tank and after five days or so I'll wake up and there are no fry. They are in my room so there is pretty much no disturbances other than feeding times. Are they moving the fry too much? Should I move the slate next to the filter? TIA

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-07-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't believe their moving them to much. They have a tendency to move them when they feel threatened, and sometimes they just move them to move them. Try covering the front of the tank with a towel so they don't see any movement that may alarm them. Check out the thread "Wigglers 2" they talk just about everything you can think of about spawning and fry.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is the possibility that the parents are eating the fry once they swim. Angels are not usually the best parents. The way to know for sure is to artificially hatch a spawn and see if the fry swim. If they do, your parents are the problem and you should remove the eggs if you want the fry.
There is another possibility which I am going through at the moment myself. I am surmmizing that the food I have been feeding the parents is not making healthy fry. I am currently testing this theory with some pairs that have not had the food in question. Possibly you have the same situation. Again, artificially hatching the eggs answers this question.

Hope this helps
Old 09-07-2015, 03:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know it's not the food because they've always gotten the same food. I'm not all that worried about getting fry so I may just let them do what they want. Thanks for the replies though.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-07-2015, 09:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Andy, I've been using the Earthworm Flake food from Hydros Aquatics (haquatics.com). It's made for breeding fish. It's guaranteed analysis is 42.0% min. crude protein, crude fat 4.1% min., crude fiber 4.2% max., moisture 8.2% max, all natural ingredients, except for some artificial coloring and no preservatives. This most recent spawn looks about 99% effective. Only one unfertilized egg in the whole batch. I think my water problems have cleared up and am praying for a success this time. Say a few prayers for me this time!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
age, angel, angelfish, fish, free, fry, swimming

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com