angelfish laying eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davy 1983

Aquarium Advice Activist
help! im watching my angelfish lay eggs on my amazon sword leaf, and chasing other fish away from them, is there anything i could or should do to help her or the eggs, iv heard then they'll move them to the substrate somewhere, if they hatch what do i do? any tips?

put a piece of long grey slate rock- or two clay pots stacked up on one anotheror a piece of white pvc pipe 12 inch long 2 inch round and they will lay eggs on them and you can pull the eggs out and hatch them your self if u want to. or leave them in there and it usualy takes new parent angels atleast 3 times before they get it rite and hatch and raise them. pm with any questions

Some angels will always eat the eggs. Mine will guard the eggs until they turn into wigglers, then devour them. If you want them to hatch (particularly in a community), your best bet is to remove them and put them in a different tank. I just pluck the leaves off of my Amazon sword that gets eggs laid on them.

You said she, is there a male? My angels just finished laying eggs on a piece of PVC that I remove. This isn't first time at trying to hatch the eggs myself. Thy spawned about 10 times and always ate the eggs. I think they may just be bad parents.

thanks guys, think next time il remove the leaf with the mother, she was doing well protecting the eggs, but then the male that shes paired up with came along and started to eat a few, they then had a little mouth wrestle, then she ate the rest of them, if i do remove the leaf next time with the mother what tank size would i need to put them in? an would i need a filter? and heater in with the eggs?

i takemy eggs out and put them in a 10 gallon tank with a bubble stone and some kind of circulation . ancor the leafe down with something. i use a small powerhead but u can use an old fountian pump or anything that will move the water around the eggs. ADD METHYLENE BLUE to the tank - 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons of water to prevent fungus on the eggs . and in 3 days you will have wigglers

I just put the PVC in a small jar inside of my sump. Keeps the water the right temp and I use a bubble stone to keep the water circulating over the eggs. Simple but effective. +1 for the methyl blue.

somethingsfishy said:
I just put the PVC in a small jar inside of my sump. Keeps the water the right temp and I use a bubble stone to keep the water circulating over the eggs. Simple but effective. +1 for the methyl blue.

good tip thanks

Back
Top Bottom