Angelfish locking lips (kissing) what does this mean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColemAnthony1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 50 gallon community tank and last night right before I turned the lights out I saw two of my angelfish locking lips and dancing and wiggling around each other. I'm assuming that this is some kind of mating ritual of some kind...? They aren't fully grown yet and they are almost always swimming around together. Do I have myself a pair?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yup, sounds like a pair to me. I would be ready to remove them or the eggs to another tank for the sake of the community in the 50.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I currently only have the 50 gallon... :/ if I were to buy another tank how big would it have to be? If I moved them would they get stressed and stop spawning?

A 20 gallon high or a 29 gallon would be good sizes for a pair. Moving them shouldn't stop them. My pair was mailed from Florida and it took them 3 weeks to go back to spawning.

Okay thanks for the advice. Maybe I can find a really cheap 30 gallon while Black Friday shopping. ;)

Make sure it's a fairly tall tank so that they have vertical swimming room.

Back
Top Bottom