Angelfish pairs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigRets

Aquarium Advice Activist
I Might be buying a 2 angel fish. for my 25g to try to breed. the person says she has a pair but since its from somebody online, I dont know this might not be true...How hard is it for angelfish to pair up if they arent pairs...I would be getting Only 1m and 1f as thats all I could fit in my 25gallon tank

given time most will pair up . not always . if they are already a pair then no prob. that is the minimal tank size i would recommend for breeding. you will have a lot of people telling u its to small but your ok. i have seen big breeding company's breed there's in to gallon tanks. i breed most of mine in 20 talls i do have a couple pairs in some 30s . if u are going to breed make sure you take stock in lots of extra tanks and sponge filters cause u will need it

I Might be buying a 2 angel fish. for my 25g to try to breed. the person says she has a pair but since its from somebody online, I dont know this might not be true...How hard is it for angelfish to pair up if they arent pairs...I would be getting Only 1m and 1f as thats all I could fit in my 25gallon tank

If they are a "pair", there should have been eggs at some point. Hatched eggs are the only true way of being guaranteed that they are a fertile pair. Ask the seller to tell you about the success of the eggs ( regarding hatch rates and how often they are spawning.) If they are spawning at the moment, make sure you get all the water parameters that the fish are breeding in so that you can duplicate those parameters as best as possible to best ensure that these fish will breed again once the stress of the move is over.
IF they have not spawned yet, you might not be getting a male and female. (FYI, I've had 2 females spawn together so HATCHED eggs are the way to confirm gender.)
While the most common method of pairing Angelfish is to let them pair off themselves, I have taken proven females and proven males from different pairs and "made" pairs. Just having a male and female together does not guarantee spawning but it's a big help ;)

There is a thread under the breeding forum titled "Wigglers at last!!!!" which is all about breeding and raising Angelfish. You might want to read through it. :whistle:

Hope this helps (y)

Can anyone pleassssse help me sex my angels. They paired up nicely and always stick together. Does that mean there is a male and a female?

image-1432653253.jpg

image-288280302.jpg

image-4198079732.jpg

Can anyone pleassssse help me sex my angels. They paired up nicely and always stick together. Does that mean there is a male and a female?

View attachment 193388

View attachment 193387

View attachment 193386

Unfortunately, if they are the only Angels in the tank then their hanging together may not be a sign of pairing off. Angelfish are a schooling fish by nature so they do not like to be alone.
One method that I use on larger fish for sexing is to look at them from above prior to their first feeding of the day. Looking down on the fish, a female should be rounder in the abdominal area ( from the eggs she's carrying) while the male should have a straight or flat look all the way down his body. Again, this needs to be done when the fish have an empty stomach or the food could be mistaken for eggs.
There is another catch, it's not totally unique to have 2 females pair off and spawn so the real test of a pair is the first hatched egg they produce. If you see the fish spawning and one is laying eggs and the other is just gliding over the eggs ( he's actually trying to fertilize them), then you know you have a male and female. Fertility results may take a few spawns to establish. (I, in fact, have one pair that are on their 4th spawn but have had no hatched eggs yet.)

Hope this helps (y)

when you see 2 angels gaurding 90% of the tank look for eggs

Back
Top Bottom