Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

angelfish sexing help please

What am I. I need help sexing my baby please and thank y

Attachment 154142

Attachment 154143

Attachment 154143

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130221_212819.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	154144

Name:	ForumRunner_20130221_212834.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	154145

Name:	ForumRunner_20130221_212859.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	154146

ou.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
It's near impossible to sex angels unless they are ready to breed and have their breeding tubes showing. That's the only 100% accurate way. Pretty angelfish, though.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yea, kinda not possible at this early stage
Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

iy is very hard to tell till breeding . but u can make a guess and i mean only guess. sometimes the males will have a slight hump on there head and the females are usualy fatter than the males . try googling a pic and see if that helps
Old 02-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Trying to sex an Angel less than 7-8 months old is an excersize in futility if you ask me. Full fin developement and ovary developement hasn't happened yet so no external carachteristics can be trusted. Just enjoy the fish for now and take pics again when it's no longer a baby (Profile pics will help me the most )

Hope this helps

BTW.... Nice looking fish. I love Marbles
Old 02-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #6

Thank you all I'm gonna try to introduce a couple more soon and I hope they start to breed. I have owened this guy for two years now and he's still kinda small is there such thing as a dwarf angel.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by malawicichlidlover View Post
Thank you all I'm gonna try to introduce a couple more soon and I hope they start to breed. I have owened this guy for two years now and he's still kinda small is there such thing as a dwarf angel.

Okay then, if this is a pic of a 2 year old fish, I have to plead with you to not breed this fish to sell the offspring. Maybe I am too sentimental but what you have then is a "runt" which is a genetically inferior fish which has most likely been dwarfed from generations of inbreeding or exposure to genetic / growth altering medications or whatnot. A 2 year old Angel should be close to the size of your hand less your fingers (unless you have realllllly big hands ) which this fish obviously isn't.
Without trying to sound NAZIish, this fish's genetic line should not be reproduced for the sake of the specie.

Now, on more personal note, it might be cool to see if you can create strains of miniature Angelfish of different colors by using this fish. If you do decide this, I refer you to this article: Hlasnick Koi so you can know the pitfalls of doing what I am suggesting. Any offspring from this experiment however should not be sold to a store as a "normal" angelfish. (IMO) Besides being false advertising, from a personal standpoint, I would want to know that the fish I am buying as a small has a really good chance of becoming full sized if I take care of it properly. These fish probable won't do that.

Feel free to PM me if you want to take this conversation deeper
Old 02-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #8

Wow thank you I thought something was up but he is the size of my hand fully spread. I've been told I have really big hands as well. I wouldn't be breeding to sell but for personal gain of fish lol. I would only breed him or her once. I think I am gonna get three or four really nice blood lined angels at my LFS
Old 02-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by malawicichlidlover View Post
Wow thank you I thought something was up but he is the size of my hand fully spread. I've been told I have really big hands as well. I wouldn't be breeding to sell but for personal gain of fish lol. I would only breed him or her once. I think I am gonna get three or four really nice blood lined angels at my LFS
Whew, that's good to hear
I guess the picture is very misleading. With little point of reference, the body looks to only be about the size of a quarter and not much more. Nose to tail length of a typical older adult Angel is about 4"-5" sometimes larger depending on the type. (Sorry, fin lengths don't count anymore because there are so many on the market these days with misshapen fins )

Bottom line... It's still a nice looking fish

Good luck with your breeding program. If I can be of any help, just let me know.

Tags
angel, angelfish, sexing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com