Angels preparing to spawn....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yay...the eggs are still there this morning. They are so cute guarding the leaf. The female is just fanning away at those eggs. This is just the cutest thing ever....I just hope they are fertilized. I guess it's time to pull out that 5g tank!! :):) BTW --- how can I be sure these little guys are fertilized. I know I have read somewhere that the color should tell you...but I just can tell. They appear darker in the pictures than they do in "real life". Both parents are taking turn fanning though and being very protective. I guess they would still do this even if they weren't fertilized, huh??? Can you tell I am a complete newbie at this....
Sounds like you are having great luck, You don't want to disturb the parents too much or it can cause them to eat the eggs!

Any up date? Been checking back to find out what is going on.

Joy ~ there has been SO MUCH going on that I haven't had time to really come back and type about, but I have been sharing with Bryan (bs6749) because he has experience breeding angels and has been a lot of help. But, here goes for the update....might be kinda long....
Well, on day two, when I got up in the morning, I noticed that there were more solid white eggs (not fertilized) and there was also this white fuzzy stuff starting to grow on the white ones. I got all upset, figuring it was too late to do anything. I, did, however want to make their next spawning more comfortable for them, so I returned my 5 lamp eye tetras to the LFS because they are just too darned hyper for me and they were also stressing out the angels. So, I put in a tank divider, knowing they would be hard as **** to catch. Thank goodness my best friend was available to help me. She had much more patience in the catching than I did. She caught them and we took them back to the lfs. All this time, in the morning, I had noticed my angels were acting really strangely. They were swimming over to the slate I had in the tank and cleaning it like mad....I thought to myself..."is she gonna try moving those good eggs over there??" But, then I dismissed the thought and just figured that would be their new spawning site. Even the guy at the lfs said "yeah...they are just preparing to spawn again and that is the chosen site"....so...I did some errands and came home briefly before getting my kids from school. I checked on the angels before leaving and COULDN'T BELIEVE MY EYES.....The female angel was taking the "good eggs" off of the fuzzy leaf and depositing them on the slate. I was enraptured! Then, when I went to look closer at the eggs....THEY WERE WIGGLING! She was taking load after load of wigglers in her mouth and putting them on the slate to be safe! It just tugged at these ole' mommy heart strings of mine!! I think she even "taught" the male how to do it also, because before long, I saw him in action as well. They even watch the wigglers on the slate and if one of them starts slipping, they pick them up with their mouths and put them back on top. It is absolutely amazing! I awoke this morning to still having wigglers on the slate, so we will see how this all goes. If any of them survive and get big enough, I will move them over to their own tank and eventually to the lfs they will go. I am just amazed at how wonderful and smart fish can be. Like I told Bryan in a PM....I got into this hobby for relaxation, so I hesitate taking the wigglers out at this point. I want to just let nature take its course and if any survive big enough to move, then I will move them over. It will become too stressful for me to start really "breeding" them and I feel I wouldn't enjoy it as a hobby anymore. So, that is my reasoning for now anyway...could change my mind down the road, who knows! Anyway...that is the update. Will try to post more as it happens!!

Thanks for the update. I wished I could find a pair of angels that actually got along I ended up with 2 big tanks because mine couldn't.

That's a very nice looking pair you have. Now that the tetra's are out is it just the pair in your tank with fry?

Actually, all that happened a few weeks ago. I had an ammonia spike the first time around and the fry either died or the parents ate them...not sure. I am now on my second round of fry and they are now freeswimming....they are just too cute and these are the best angel parents anywhere!! When the babies get big enough I will try to catch some pictures of them. As of last night, I think I have at least 40-50 free swimming fry. Oh...and the only ohter fish in this tank right now are two albino cories. I am not sure what happened to my other eight. The angels either killed them in aggression or the ammonia spike killed them, but they died very infrequently, not all at once, so I think there may have been some aggression going on by the angels.

Back
Top Bottom