Another guppy thread xD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mekachu04

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've never actually had guppies before (or any live bearers), but i have been doing a bit of reading. So.... In theory i know what to expect, but in practice i'm out of my element.
I've had this little girl for 26 days... I'm thinking she's getting close.
Any thoughts?

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1392530109694.jpg
    1392530109694.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 85
Because i can only post one pic at a time, here's another from the front.

Attachments

• 1392530137563.jpg
    1392530137563.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 78
... I have one fry... That was yesterday.
Is that all? I mean... She still looks huge....

Attachments

• 1392607637030.jpg
    1392607637030.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 74
Feed her so freeze dried food, sometimes that helps.

Livebearer females with few exceptions get a very squared chest 3-5 days before dropping fry. Once you see it you will recognize it immediately. If your fish is young, that may not be as obvious. Also, livebearers eat their young like egg layers eat eggs. You may have had more fry and they became a post birth snack for mom or the tankmates. There are a number of cheap breeder traps available, just be careful using them.

If you post more about your set up, tank size, tankmates and where you obtained the fish I may be able to help you more.

Thanks for getting back to me.
Other than the one fry, i never saw anymore.
Sadly, she passed away last night- sunk down to the bottom of the tank

My one lone fry looks like its doing okay.
While the fins don't show up well on phone camera, is there a way i can sex this little one, or do i need to wait until its older/gets color?

Attachments

• 1392885124146.jpg
    1392885124146.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 65
pretty small to tell but i'm betting female bout 80% sure.

Oh that would be ideal.
Thank you

Breeding Guppies

I've never actually had guppies before (or any live bearers), but i have been doing a bit of reading. So.... In theory i know what to expect, but in practice i'm out of my element.
I've had this little girl for 26 days... I'm thinking she's getting close.
Any thoughts?

Hello two...

Livebearers, with the possible exception of Mollies are an easy fish to breed. But, you have to prepare the tank for them. You need a fairly large tank, 30 Gs or better. They reproduce very quickly. I keep them in 55 G tanks. They're energetic swimmers and like extra room. They appreciate a lot of floating plants like Hornwort and Common water weed for privacy. Especially, when females drop the fry and for the fry to feel safe. Large, frequent water changes with water that's a bit warmer than that in the tank. When I change the water, I typically have new fry. The flush of pure, warm, treated tap water lets the females know it time to drop the fry. The best food is frozen bloodworms, brine and Mysis shrimp, plankton, krill and beef heart. A little freeze dried tubifex worms is very good too. A treat for Livebearers is a little minced garlic. My livebearers love it.

B

Back
Top Bottom