Another new tank/fry hide out question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starbearninja

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can I use a 1g glass bowl and some sort of net to make a fry hide out inside a 40g aquarium to avoid having to move them to another tank? Any idea how to keep the water from becoming gross inside it? I have Molly's and guppies. Randomly got 3 unexpected zebra danios and a Chinese algae eater. Other fish in the tank are a loach(trying to find him a few friends because we should have a group) and a ghost shrimp, might add more shrimp to help clean up the tank.

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could put it in the tank and fill it with something like hornwort. That would make it a great hiding spot for fry.

By the way, I would get rid of the Chinese algae eater as soon as possible. Once they reach a Denver size they start killing fish by sucking off their slime coat.

Caleb

OK cool, thanks for the heads up, I knew they did something when they got bigger just wasn't sure what

You could build a stone work area tall enough to make it hard for the adult fish to get into it. Livebearer fry are attracted to plants so hornwart is a good call. I'd do the stone work and put the hornwart weighted to the bottom in front of it. As the hornwart grow it will get tall and sections will float on top, put those in the stone waork area. A good tuft of java moss will help as well.

He looks like a black kuhli loach but might be a dojo. He is only like 3.5inches brownish black with a tan belly. My last shrimp died today so I'm not sure if something is wrong with my tank. Need to get a new kit to test water quality

Look up weather loaches. That's the natural coloring whereas dojo loaches are more albino in a sense.

I wouldn't put a weather/dojo loach in anything under a 55g. Very active fish that also get quite large. I have a dojo thats at 8-ish inches.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom