Any African Clawed Frog Breeders out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a pair of African Clawed Frogs, I would like to try and breed them.

i think they are a pair :?

Female is Albino and has a short stubby "tail"
Male is "normal" color and does not have the "tail"

does anyone have any ideas on how to encourage them to spawn?

Also how to raise the eggs/tadpoles after spawning, i have an empty 10 gal i can use as a grow out tank for the tadpoles, i assume i need to remove the eggs from the parent's tank ASAP.

how should water conditions look?

right now...
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
PH 8.0
Temp 72 ish

P.S. these are classroom pets, and (fingers are crossed) i would like them to spawn as close to amphibian unit as possible (i have a month...)

i use to have two, now i only have one. she's killed 3 ADFs and another ACF, and this was when they were relatively the same size.

before you decide to breed them, think: what am i going to do with 500 tadpoles?

and think if you gave them to your students, how many would really take good care of them? and how many would get tired of them, flush 'em or let them go in a creek?

EDIT: ohh and i keep my temp between 76-80

hc8719 said:
before you decide to breed them, think: what am i going to do with 500 tadpoles?
i would not allow 500 eggs to hatch, before i got the male, my femal layed eggs once, there was only about 75 eggs tops, and then i have two lfs that have agreed to take some

ehh, 75 is still a big number, even if alot dont make it. i believe allaboutfrogs.org has a couple articles on ACFs and breeding

I have 2 males and one female.They are always ''at it'' together-even male on male sometimes!
I have never managed to gain eggs but that may be due to them being housed in my community tank.

Ive managed to get eggs!!!!!

Sinec upgrading to a 30 gallon last week and moving all my fish out,my frogs have been all alone in the 15 gallon.2 males,one female.One male has quite an extreme case of ''bloat'' and has had such for about a year.

When I moved all my fish what were in there I also removed the fluval-1 filter that was supplementing the under gravel in my 15 gal.This caused as slight ammonia spike last week.I then heavily dosed the tank with anti-bacterial treatment No9 as I could not do so before because of some of the fish I had.2 days ago I conducted a 50% water change and the temp is 74F.Params are Ammonia-slight nitrite 0ppm.I have not bothered to test PH or nitrates as of yet.

This morning I forgot to turn the lamp on before I went to work and upon returning home-and switching on the lamp the weeds and tank bottom are covered with,I estimate, several hundred small white eggs!!

I have never expected this nor seen it with my frogs before (they are always ''going through the motions'' though.After a brief look on google and on many of the good ACF websites out there-I can now confirm I have eggs!!

This is purely accidental and I can only guess it's the recent lack of distractions and noise from the internal filter that have promoted this.

Im eagerly learning how to raise this eggs into tadpoles and onwards!!

Will keep you posted!

Back
Top Bottom