Any Discus breeders out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xkenneth

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got a female Red Dragon that I'm about to try and pair off. I noticed her laying eggs on by herself the other day so I'm assuming she wants to breed. >< Just curious if there are any discus breeders that wouldn't mind having email/forum discussions.

I've had quite a few discus spawns xkenneth. Do you have a male that you're going to try and force pairing with her?

Any luck yet? Im thinking of getting into discus breeding myself. I found a breeding pair in my lfs, but they are very pricey. But could pay off if they actually do breed. Ive read a lot of articles online about it, and i think im going to do it.

Anyone had success? Any tips?

I've found that healthy well conditioned discus will spawn in most any water. Getting the eggs to hatch and raising the fry can be daunting.

IME if the TDS is over 150ppm you have no shot. Ideally I look for it to be just under 100 and that might mean mixing RO water with your tap. Very often one or both of the parents will eat the eggs or fry. It may take a few spawns for them to stop this behavoir. I've had to remove a few notorious egg eaters (but only one parent at a time).

I use 29g tanks for the breeders, change water at least once a day, and keep a supply of live black worms in the tank at all times. It's imperative to wipe the glass clean with each pwc, and rinse the sponge filters in tank water daily as well.

A drop in temperature from 85F to 81F will stimulate spawning. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom