Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2020, 11:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Any fish that I can breed that don't eat their fry?

Hey, I wanted to do some kinda natural setup in my 20 gallon long, with regularly breeding fish where I don't have to remove the male, female, or any of the fry. I can give fry to my friend who has a large fish tank, so no need to worry about the tank being overcrowded with fish. I would like to breed a smaller variety of cichlids, but there might also be something out there that have the same traits. I know that some livebearers don't eat their fry if there is enough plants, but I'm not really interested in that. Thanks! (owo)

Old 01-16-2020, 12:15 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I was looking at a tank of shell dwellers.

Old 01-16-2020, 01:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
I was looking at a tank of shell dwellers.
Yea, I already thought of that but they are either overpriced or not available around me . I don't really like shipping and just switched my tank to gravel, so wouldn't want to switch it to sand... Thanks tho.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What about white cloud minnows? I hear they are easy to breed, they scatter their eggs year round and don't eat a ton of the fry. You don't even need a heater for them.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello Crab...

Livebearing fish won't prey on their fry if the adult fish are fed more food and fed more often. The adults, if they're hungry, will see the fry as lunch. Well fed adults show little interest in the fry. Also, if you heavily plant the surface area of your tank with some floating plants like Anacharis, Hornwort, Dwarf water lettuce and Pennywort. the fry will hide in the plants.

B
Old 01-16-2020, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello Crab...

Livebearing fish won't prey on their fry if the adult fish are fed more food and fed more often. The adults, if they're hungry, will see the fry as lunch. Well fed adults show little interest in the fry. Also, if you heavily plant the surface area of your tank with some floating plants like Anacharis, Hornwort, Dwarf water lettuce and Pennywort. the fry will hide in the plants.

B
Thanks, but I'm not really interested in livebearers. I already bred them in the past and wouldn't want to repeat it again (wanna try something new). Thanks for your suggestion though!
Old 01-16-2020, 07:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
What about white cloud minnows? I hear they are easy to breed, they scatter their eggs year round and don't eat a ton of the fry. You don't even need a heater for them.
Hmm I never though about that! Lemme try researching a bit more about them and see if its true. Thanks for the suggestion!

Tags
breed, eat, fish, fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com