Any information on breeding guppies and mollies?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New_b0401

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I'm new to the aquarium world, but I've decided to try breeding and I'm super excited! I was originally planning on breeding zebra danios as that's what I had after cycling my tank, but I talked to my lfs and they are more intreseted in mollies and guppies. So knowing that I need somewhere for my new fish to go I decided to look into breeding the fish that I know I would be able to sell so I dont get over stocked. Now that you have a little background info lets get to the questions. I currently have a 45 gallon hexagon tank that I plan on keeping my breeders in. I have 3 10 gallons 2 are empty and one is a betta tank(soon to be planted) can I keep mollies with a betta I know guppies are a big NO but not sure about mollies? If not at least I will have plants that I can trim to replant in my fry tanks(the 2 10 gallons)
I also have a 20 long I plan on using for my grow-out tank. Do I need more tanks or do you think this is enough space? I will be conditioning in the 45 and using breeder boxes in the 10s for when the females gove birth. I'm planning on using already cycled air pump sponge filters and doing frequent water changes on the two 10s and if need I will put a sponge over my 20 gallon filter but I hope they will be large enough that I won't need to by the time I move them over. Also thinking about keeping a brine shrimp colony in a 5.5gallon tank but im not exactly sure how any tips?
What are some good plants to use in breeding tanks?
How do I tell male guppies and mollies from female guppies and mollies?
How many fry can I expect to get?
Can I put more then one batch of fry in the same tank if they are close to the same age?
I've seen some people keep guppy fry and molly fry together is that ok?
Any other advice is greatly appreciated thank you for your time. :)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll try to answer some of your Qs:
Plastic or real plants, either is fine.
You are better off hatching several batches of newborn brine shrimp using 1L or 2L plastic bottles. There is more info on that topic somewhere on this forum or on Google.
The size of the fry batches may depend on the size and health of the female. Guessing 20-30 is average.
To distinguish males and females for all livebearers, look at the anal fin. It is the single fin found on the ventral side (belly) between the paired pelvic fins and the single caudal/tail fin. Females have a triangular or fan shaped fin; males have a tube shaped fin (hehe it's a modified sex organ). Also, females are generally larger with a fuller body and have a darkened area on the belly known as the gravid spot.
You should be able to keep near age batches together. The younger ones may have a challenge when it comes to feeding. Feeding should be frequent. Any uneaten food should be promptly removed. Using airline tubing as a siphon works well. Some folks use snails in their rearing tanks. Either way, water quality is a must as water changes need to be kept up.
I suppose mollies and guppies can be raised together although their growth rates may vary.
Good luck with this. It is a good thing you have an outlet (the LFS) for your efforts.

Thanks you that helps a lot!
Will brine shrimp reproduce or will I have to keep buying new ones?

Thanks you that helps a lot!
Will brine shrimp reproduce or will I have to keep buying new ones?

If they are raised to maturity they may produce eggs. However, not all of the eggs produced will hatch immediately. Some will require a drying out period before hatching (which makes it more convenient to store, transport, and sell dry eggs/cysts). Also, I believe that the conditions or salinity of newborn shrimp and adult shrimp are slightly different. For what it's worth, it is much easier to simply hatch new shrimp than to raise the shrimp to adulthood. Newly hatched shrimp are packed with more nutrients than older shrimp (possibly from the yolk sac).
Don't over look frozen and freeze dried foods as an alternative. Live is best but the others will work.
Oh, I just reread your question. Just buy a pack of eggs. They will go a long way.

Ok great to know thanks:)

Generally male guppies will be more colorful than the female and you want to keep 1 Male for every 2-3females

Can you raise guppy and molly fry in a breeder net? Any opinions on good plants to use in a breeder tank?

FishFanBoy i saw that you breed guppies would you mind answering some questions? What is your breeding set up? Ratio to males to females? How many in what size tank? Types of guppies? Where to raise the fry? What do you feed adults and fry? How long until the fry are large enough to be with adults? Do you sell? If so at what age do you sell the fry?

I am just starting now so I only have 2 females but I have a batch of fry that I plan on keeping the good females and selling the males. You can sell them once they get full or almost full coloration. I use a ratio of 1m :2f. I have a breeder net that I use. My current females are about to drop again so I'm planning on getting something to cover my filter intake so the fry don't get sucked up it but then sometimes I will let the females drop in the take just to keep the population down .sorry if this didn't make sense as I am a terrible writer

As soon as the fry can't fit in your adults mouth or won't get sucked up the filter then you can put them with the adults also I have a male tank and a female tank currently so they are separate until they need to breed

Ok good to know thanks!

I am just starting now so I only have 2 females but I have a batch of fry that I plan on keeping the good females and selling the males. You can sell them once they get full or almost full coloration. I use a ratio of 1m :2f. I have a breeder net that I use. My current females are about to drop again so I'm planning on getting something to cover my filter intake so the fry don't get sucked up it but then sometimes I will let the females drop in the take just to keep the population down .sorry if this didn't make sense as I am a terrible writer

What are you feeding your fry? Do you condition your adults with anything special or do you just use flakes? What coloration are you're males? If you know the names lol

I have been feeding my fry finely crushed flakes as my lfs never has food for fry but I would recommend getting hikari first bites to feed them . I do not condition the adults . I will try to get a pic of my male but he is so active it kinda hard.

I have been feeding my fry finely crushed flakes as my lfs never has food for fry but I would recommend getting hikari first bites to feed them . I do not condition the adults . I will try to get a pic of my male but he is so active it kinda hard.

Well im lucky and my LFS does have first bites:) and ok! Would love to see him but I know what you mean I jave an awful time getting pictures!

Back
Top Bottom