Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2004, 10:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Any pictures of swords ready to give birth?

I would really appreciate any pictures anyone could post of swords ready to give birth. I think mine is pregnant, she's pretty boxy looking. I just don't know when she will be ready and I don't want to wait too long before putting her in a breeder trap because I don't want to lose the fry. Here's a picture of her.

Old 08-31-2004, 11:14 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I don't have any pics but usually when they are ready they don't come out at feeding time as much, hanging back in a safe location, and they seem preoccupied... no small wonder!

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wish I could help you out, I think I have lost the last couple batches because I wasn't sure. The first time one of my female swordtails was pregnant, I had no clue how big she would get, and then one day walked in, she was tiny and no babies to be seen. I saw one when the lights went out (I can't believe how small he was, I think he would have slipped through the mesh of my net!), but I had to leave and when I came back, he was gone.

She started to get big again, but this time, she didn't get anywhere near AS big and must have had her babies by now because she is tiny again!!! I have no way of knowing either. You could put her in a breeder trap now just to be sure, or like one of the LFS in the area here, kind of put a mesh around her so that she can swim a bit, but can't get out and other fish can't get in. The babies will be able to hide in that too.

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 02:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the tips. I'll put her in a breeding trap because she is behaving differently, hanging back a bit more lately. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, how long are they pregnant for? Can you put one in a breeding trap as soon as they look pregnant? And anyone know if this varies a lot among different livebearers?
Old 09-02-2004, 03:34 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I would wait as long as possible to whip out the ole breeding trap, as some females will stress in there and drop the fry prematurely. I don't think there is much variation among livebearers until you get into some more unusual types - somewhere around three to four weeks is how long they will carry the young, to the best of my knowledge.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 12:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

TankGirl, thanks for the info.

Tags
birth, pictures

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com