Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2006, 06:04 PM   #1

Any way to makeshift device to save the fry in a qt.

Hey All,

Thanks for all the good advice about my black Molly. I will be sure to keep you all updated with news and pics.

My ?...Is there anything I can put at the bottom of my qt to save the fry if I am not home. I don't have time to hit the LFS until Wednesday and I am going to put her in Qt. tonight.

I was going to get something clean with holes? Maybe I am just not even making sense at all or maybe somebodyhas done something like this. Someone suggested let nature take it's course, I can't. I want to do everything I can to save the fry.

I have one of the little breeding boxes but you all have talked me out of that for the molly. I dont want to stress her out and make things worse. I would probably have a better chance of a few fry hiding in my plants from my Tiger Barbs until I get home.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Someone once suggested leaving the lights off. I don't know how affective that is, but you could probably give it a try.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Lots of cover for the fry is the best method if you aren't there when it happens.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:28 AM   #4

Like zags said " Lots of cover" But you'll need it at the surface not the bottom. The fry will go to the surface as Mollies are surface dewellers not bottom. The fry wil have a better change at surving with floating plants. What you can do is even pull up a few of your plants and just let them float on the suface { the thicker the better} The fry will go start for them.
Cause when she does drop them she's going to do it at the surface more then likely and not the bottom of the tank. She's going to have them in aplace she fells to ba a save spot.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have had molly fry quite a few times and I find they will stay wherever the cover is. I now have cover at the surface and a fancy plant mat at the bottom. They love hiding in the mat on the bottom. I've never had so many survive as I do now because of the matt. Anybody in the London, Ontario area and want some molly fry?

Here's the mat I bought.

http://wetpetsusa.stores.yahoo.net/aqsysyaqplsp.html

You said you couldn't get to the LFS, so if you have any fake plants you are not using, tie them up in a ball and weigh them down with something and your fry can hide in that.

Tags
fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com