Anyone ever colony bred?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CcJ23

Aquarium Advice Freak
Want to get some endlers for my new breeding rack I've set up. I don't have to colony breed as I have 6 practically empty tanks, totaling 100 gallons, but I just kind of like the self sufficiency kind of idea of the colony. Any tips or advice? I would probably not be doing this with pet store endlers! As much as I don't want to, I may also try the same with some guppies. Not a lot of differences there, except guppies are notorious fry eaters.

I have bred and continue to breed a lot of Endlers. If you wish to just colony breed them all you will need is a tiny bit of cover for the fry. Depending on tank size and number of stock to begin with they will fill up the tank. I have a 30L that I added approximately 6 females and three males to one year ago. Now there are anywhere from 35 to 70 fish in the tank at all times. I just keep thinning them out as I go. I have isolated three distinct color lines and have 2 x 15gal, 3 x 20L set up with them in addition to the 30L.

One thing I have found is that unlike most livebearers Endlers are not big on eating fry. If you use some sort of breeding trap you will quicly note that Endlers do infact eat a number of fry but never all of them. I would advise you to try this little science project on your own. I also have found that Least Killies, another livebearer, don't eat their fry either. The Least Killies drop one or two fry per day for several days. I have found they can't cross with the Endlers. I have Least Killies in a lot of tanks with more robust fish. Their breeding cycle makes for a steady stream of live food for the other fish.

That's very helpful. I've got some java moss right now, hoping to get more. Are there any filtering advice or any other plants that are good?

Ok I have to laugh on this, I'd never heard the term till yesterday, have spent a few hours googling it and now it popped up as a topic here lol.

I have been doing this for years with my guppies and never knew it had a name. Until recently I had a 75 gallon that was mostly guppies with a few cories and a BN. The biggest tips I can give you?

Make sure you have plenty of cover. I prefer live plants because it gives the fry something to pick at food-wise as well as cover, which helps when they are literally bite sized. Anything is better than nothing, but floating and bushier ones are best, although when my jungle vals were really long the fry hid out among the floating sections.

Keep the adults decently fed. This sounds stupid, but I've had a few cases when I was gone for a few days (2-3) and they didn't get fed. Not usually a problem, but I found that I would have a noticeable drop in fry when I got back if they weren't older fry. I had entire batches wiped out like that.

Depending on how big your tank is, the filter usually doesn't matter. I had a canister filter in the 75 and didn't have any issues with fry getting sucked up. Way back I had a ten gallon and found a box filter and a nice size chunk of java fern kept it sparkling and everybody happy.

Keep an eye on your fish and cull them regularly. I let this slide for the first year, and ended up trading almost 80 for some cherry shrimp (not bad but if that deal hadn't gone down I would have been stuck with an awful amount of fish I didn't want). I was left with five, but from there I've easily built back up. Get rid of any deformed ones immediately, then cull for color and body type/finnage. And don't forget to add some new blood occasionally. For me with it being guppies it was easy because you can find them anywhere. (I'll admit, some of my guppies were found because it was a 'having a bad day lets go look at fish' sort of day lol)

Have a cleaning crew. I prefer cories because they won't eat fry and DO eat whatever hits the sand. Plus they kind of fill out sections of the tank that can be quite boring with livebearers. You'll still have to feed them too, but it just adds variety to every ones diet. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Well right now I have 3 10's, 2 20's and a 30 all sitting full of water and no inhabitants, with the exception of some assassin snails and bn pleco babies in one. I've got java miss in one 10, some anacharis in a 20, and some others that I'm currently floating in the other tanks before I sell them or put them in my display tank. Hopefully I can get the temperatures on these things right! I did try to seed the filters. I'll check the parameters when I get a chance. I want tiger endlers. They are not easy to find!

I've colony bred many types of guppies and several strains of endlers, and I'm currently colony breeding one strain of guppies and very recently, some Poecilia picta. I like to use anacharis, java moss, hornwort, pennywort, pretty much any plants that you can throw in the tank to give the fry plenty of cover.

I like this java moss that I got, except that since I through it in the tank, the tank has grown algae. Strange?!

Is it maybe time to change your bulb(s)? It could be unrelated to the moss, or it could be that the moss introduced some algae into your tank that is taking hold.

The lights aren't bad. Had been running the tank under the lights for a month or two with no problems. It may be because there are no fish in the tank?

The moss probably had algae on it when you got it and it exploded in a tank with good light and nothing eating it.

Maybe cover the tank and turn off the lights for a day or two? The moss shouldn't die but the algae should. I haven't had that situation for myself as I quarantine the plant or bleach it before adding it to my tank to be sure it is free of pests.

I've actually never done it myself, but a day or two should be good. Two is better as long as the moss doesn't die.:blink:

Back
Top Bottom