Anyone great at sexing angels??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only sure fire way to definitely sex an Angelfish is when they are spawning. The one laying the eggs will be the female :D
The next best way I use is to look at the fish from above before the first meal of the day. A gravid female will look smooth on top and rounded and protruding at the belly. A male will be smooth all the way down. No bumps.
Other signs that have a chance of correct sexing can be a hump on the male's head, the first spine of the anal fin starting almost directly behind the anus opposed to a female's who starts just a bit behind the anus, or the angle of the anal fin. In the old days, I used this last method and had quite a good track record of accuracy. HOWEVER, since then, with so many fish having been inbred or poor quality fish being used as breeders, I've seen some of today's fish that didn't match this method so I don't use it anymore.

If you need more help, there is a thread in the breeder forum titled "Wigglers at last!!!!" which is an ongoing thread by both pros and other AAers all about breeding and caring for Angels for breeding. Pretty much everything you need to know about breeding these fish has been discussed in this thread.

Hope this helps

Hi Andy thank you so much for all that info! I will definitely check out that forum, and when my lights come on sneak a peek from above see if the one has more pudgyness ...By the pictures I posted in your experience what do you think they are?

I would've guessed for ya but I'm no good at it. See my 2 golden's I thought I had a male and a female. Nope, both females. And as you can see from the pic one has the hump on it's forehead and one does not.

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1381624031447.jpg
    ResizedImage_1381624031447.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 59
  • ResizedImage_1380289737960.jpg
    ResizedImage_1380289737960.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 67
I would've guessed for ya but I'm no good at it. See my 2 golden's I thought I had a male and a female. Nope, both females. And as you can see from the pic one has the hump on it's forehead and one does not.

Beautiful angels! Do you have any pics where they are showing their papilla?

No I don't. They have both laid eggs since I've had them that's how I know their both female.

Hi Andy thank you so much for all that info! I will definitely check out that forum, and when my lights come on sneak a peek from above see if the one has more pudgyness ...By the pictures I posted in your experience what do you think they are?

From the side, they look like male and female but I won't put a guarantee on that cause as I said, it's not fool proof anymore. If these were wild Silvers, I'd be more likely to put some cash down on this "guess."
So here's some pics:
This is a male with his eggs: Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Andy Sager's Album: New Angelfish - Picture
(Notice the shape of his tube)

This one is a female just prior to her spawning: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/wigglers-at-last-237956-176.html (entry #1754 second picture down.) If your fish's tubes don;t look like these 2, they are not a male & female ( they're both the same gender ;) )

Hope this helps(y)

Back
Top Bottom