Anyone here breed fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just curious if any members here breed fish. I've always loved guppies, and with my last go around I ended up with a guppy that was either pregnant when I purchased her or got pregnant by a male guppy I had and was a few of the babies actually survived. Do pet shops pay individuals who breed fish or is it more of people give them fish they don't want? Do shops pay anything decent?

Some shops will pay for fish that are difficult to breed, but doubtful anyone would pay for common guppies. They breed quite readily.

I have sold my angel babies from anywhere from $2-$5 to my lfs. But, it depended on the variety and size and their current stock. For most guppies, plenty of stores won't even take them free because of their ready availability.
Stores are indeed more likely to pay for things that are uncommon, difficult to breed, or expensive from their suppliers. I got $4 per rcs at one lfs for awhile. Eventually, it was lowered to $2 per rcs, but even that is still awesome. However, that was a rare instance in a small town. Try calling around and see what they say. :)

I'll Call my local pet shop, I live in a small town so Might have a shot then!

absolutangel04 said:
However, that was a rare instance in a small town. Try calling around and see what they say. :)

I sell my gups to my lfs for .50 a piece, she is the only one that I have found who will take them. But she will only take up to 30 at a time and they have to be over an inch long. If I get a male with unique coloring she sometimes will pay up to 1.00 but that's not often and its only for in-store credit. IME not a whole lot can be made off of guppies and other livebearers.

i make about $60.00 a week selling to lfs and on craigs list gut i breed a wide variety of fish.

Back
Top Bottom