Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Apisto breeding

I am noticing some abnormal behavior with a male and female apisto lately. Along with the behavior one of the females has a chunk missing from her (picture below). The female has turned yellow and has red tips on her fins (I've seen this once before), and the male is chasing her around. Do they nip when trying to breed or is this something along the lines of HITH?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-99348239.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	110035   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-115077627.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	110036  

Old 08-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishN00b83 View Post
I am noticing some abnormal behavior with a male and female apisto lately. Along with the behavior one of the females has a chunk missing from her (picture below). The female has turned yellow and has red tips on her fins (I've seen this once before), and the male is chasing her around. Do they nip when trying to breed or is this something along the lines of HITH?
The color change sounds typical of breeding colors of cichlids. Almost all cichlids will be agressive towards their mates until spawning has occured. Then they calm down. Make sure you have some sites such as flat rocks or clay pots in the tank for the fish to spawn on. Most Apistos will breed on a rock but some will want more privacy if they are in a community tank and will use the inside of the pot.

Good luck

Old 08-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

She has gone back to normal colors now, but I don't think anything happened. I have pieces of flat slate all over the place, so they definitely had the space. I even have some slate pieces epoxyed together to make little caves.

My main concern was if she was goin to heal, and she did really quick, so I'm ok with that haha. I guess I'll just keep an eye on em and see what happens. Thanks for the reply!
Old 08-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishN00b83 View Post
She has gone back to normal colors now, but I don't think anything happened. I have pieces of flat slate all over the place, so they definitely had the space. I even have some slate pieces epoxyed together to make little caves.

My main concern was if she was goin to heal, and she did really quick, so I'm ok with that haha. I guess I'll just keep an eye on em and see what happens. Thanks for the reply!
Color change is quite common prior to breeding so it is possible that they spawned but ate the eggs which is why she has returned to her normal colors. Did the male change colors at all? This would also be a sign of pending spawning activity.

Anyway, glad to hear she has healed.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The male has turned this black and deep red and hasn't gone back. He's been that way for a while now. I do notice one of the females turn this bright yellow every so often, then she gets chased around, but im not sure if anything happens.

Tags
api, breed, breeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com