Apisto fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xander

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thrilled. I recently moved my apistos from a 75G community tank into a 30g to improve fry survival. Well I saw the first batch of fry today. Only after I rearranged some plants and added new ones. I think I spooked them a bit. Well here's hoping most of them make it. I have cultures of Walter worms, micro worms, and vinegar eels ready this time. Well I still need a solid technique to harvest those eels.

Awesome, what species? I'm curious to know how the vinegar eels work out, they always seemed like a real pain compared to microworms and bbs.

This is what Mike Wise said
"It might be A. sp. aff. cruzi (Picuruyacu) or something similar (see photo at TomC's site: http://apisto.sites.no/page.aspx?pageid=53 (toward the bottom of the page). There are many populations of cruzi-subcomplex forms that occur between the Río Nanay and Río Napo that really need to be more closely examined. They could all be one species (A. sp. Nanay/Melgar) or several."

I harvest the vinegar eels by using a narrow neck bottle with a wad of poly and float fresh water on that. The eels go into the water for oxygen and I can siphon them from that.

Yeah I love my apistos but not knowing what they are is frustrating. I'm hoping to keep enough fry alive to be able to keep them going but I'd like to diversify the line. As in limiting the inbreeding. Which will be near impossible without a definite ID.
They were sold as Norberti which isn't even close so all I can do is study them myself and hope I recognize others as I see them.

Back
Top Bottom